Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

midday movement

birddown101

Just curious if anyone here is seeing deer between 11 and 2? I sat all day yesterday with it being dead from 945 to 415. Would like to sit all day today too if others on central IA are having luck at these times. Just don't want to burn out this set being its a good one.

It definately was a beautiful morning with the fog! Although seeing a mother with her fawns and no bucks this morning makes me think the rut is not in full swing. Right before dark has been the best buck movement by far for me. I think a week out will be very productive!

Weird circumstances at work created a last minute opportunity for a mid day hunt on Thursday, and I sat from 10 am till about 2 pm. Saw a half dozen does and fawns meander through and bed down right around noon...not a buck in sight. We're not there yet on the farms I hunt here in NW Iowa...when we see bucks there are often no does in sight and vice versa.

NWBuck

Weird circumstances at work created a last minute opportunity for a mid day hunt on Thursday, and I sat from 10 am till about 2 pm. Saw a half dozen does and fawns meander through and bed down right around noon...not a buck in sight. We're not there yet on the farms I hunt here in NW Iowa...when we see bucks there are often no does in sight and vice versa.

NWBuck

I would agree with that statement. I have either seen all bucks or all does in my last 4 sits accept for once, I saw a decent 130-135 9pt. dogging a doe.

Sat until 12:30 Wednesday, got down to take care of a couple things and was back in a different stand by 2:15. Saw deer off and on until I got down in the morning, and saw my first buck by 2:45 in the afternoon. Both of these stands were in the Timber near bedding and water. If you are banking on food sources, you may not see as much midday movement. In the timber, the bucks will be up and moving all day right now. I'll be in for the next 4 days straight. Good luck fellas.

Just saw a 3.5 8pt on the way home from school about 10-15mins ago. A Doe ran across the road and I told my Mom "Watch out she's not running from the car there's got to be a Buck behind her" we drive and sure enough there he is, I would have show him any day of the week. :way:

Last edited:
Dedgeez, anything mature during midday?

Last Friday I passed a 160 class 11 point at 10:45am. That's not really midday, but he was definitely cruising hard. He was (to the best of my knowledge) a 4 year old and there are way better deer on that farm(so don't think I'm crazy) :grin: Saturday at 10am I came to full draw on a stud 5-6 year old that I could not get a clear shot at. He was on the move hard as well and I have no doubt that he stayed on his feet for the majority of the day. Lots of does moving between 10-2 on both days, so it is only a matter of time before Mr Big is with them. It can happen at any time this time of year and I try to take advantage of every day I can hunt. 2 of my best deer have come between 12-2 pm, so IMO if I can I will be there this time of year, regardless of the weather. Good Luck to all. Windy weekend so we shall see what happens.

my week of vacation starts tomorrow, so i will be hunting all day most days for the next 9 days (if neccessary).

Question about all day hunts. I have the sent lock rain and wind proof gear to hunt in. I am still finding that on all day hunts in late season that I am still getting cold. Any tricks out there to stay warm. Wool socks and more layers I have, just gets cold out there the more I sit still.

Neo,
I used to have the same problem, then last year I bought a Cabelas Windshear pullover...I just checked and they have them on sale again. I also got one for my son...he used to always be cold, and he just came in after 5 hrs on stand and said he felt great. I sat out the other night...it was 41, raining, with 15 mph wind and didn't get cold...I want the pants next!!!

Good question! I can usually keep warm enough by putting on multiple layers. When its real cold I will put the big "hot hands" warming packets right nextto my kidneys. (I made pockets on a shirt to support them) The only problem I have is my feet so im looking forward to responses on here!

Birddown, use the hot hands on your feet. There are socks they make to hold them, they also make some with adhesive, and in a pinch, I've even ducktaped them to my socks. They don't work with a tight fit boot, but they work great in a pac boot or my other gum type boots.

Thanks for the response. That sale they are having is a pretty good one. I will have to check them out.

Besides the Toasty Toes with the adhesive backing for your toes, they make a large body warmer with adhesive backing that I like to stick to my undershirt between my shoulderblades. You obviously need an assistant for this or put it on your shirt before you put it on. I feel if I can keep my spine warm the rest of me stays warm.. If you get the shivers, you just lean back and push that thing into your back and all better..

Was down in Centerville today, walked behind a trailer house in town to do an inspection.
Saw movement, looked over to see a nice 10pt looking at me about 30' away.

I moved his way and he side stepped about 10' and stood there. He looked to his left and then I saw the doe to my right about 40' away, she started to walk off and he was trailing her like a lost puppy dog.

Keep in mind I was in a pretty open neighborhood.

BOWDUDE

Top Bottom