Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Milo as a foodplot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMOMN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do deer use milo. Is it a late season food source. My property is in northern MN </div></div>

In most cases here in Iowa deer don't use milo until late in the year or even sometimes not until everything else is gone.

It depends a lot on the availability of other feed..if milo is all they have they may hit it in November, but around here there is freshly combined corn almost everywhere that time of year and it's hard to draw them away from corn.

I believe deer prefer corn over sorghum but in small foodplots(<5 acres) where deer densities are high I think Milo (or sorghum) is a better choice. Deer usually leave milo alone until fall and really go after it when the weather turns cold. I also think a good stand of milo provides better thermal cover for bedding in than corn does.

It is too doughy early in the year and the deer won't touch it until it turns later in the fall. Deer hammer it on my farm and it is enjoyable to sit by and watch the birds as they love it as much as the deer. I use it in smaller food plots the deer feed on as they move toward the bigger fields.

Top Bottom