Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

mind reading turkeys?

T

tayler

I've got four or five groups of turkeys on my small patch of land, and i can watch them everyday for ten minutes, and they are fairly easy to find. Then when the seasone starts, i'll head out opening morning and seem to do everything right, but not see a single turkey the whole time. Do they leave the area and if so, why?

I have hunted several areas that are loaded with turks during the fall and winter and then are completely empty of sign in the spring. Sometimes they just like the neighbors woodlot better....

Turkeys can be kind of fun to watch this time of year but not very informative. The most important thing you can do is to scout, scout and scout some more in the 5-7 days preceding the season you're going to hunt. You'll find they are often in a completely different area than they were in February. Good luck!

NWBuck

Can't agree with NWBUCK more.

Seems in our area they group up in the winter where the food is. Before turkey season they spread out a lot more. Toms want their own location - easier to get hens as long as the hens are around. Hens seem to spread out also.

...to build on what has been said...now is the time I am scouting the areas (especially the new ones) I plan on hunting...not the birds but the land...where are the likely roosting areas?, where are likely strutting areas?, where are good listening posts?, what areas should I avoid when calling? (deep ditches, fences, etc.)...I don't mind seeing or hearing birds - it will give me an idea of the local flock but as mentioned before I will scout the birds themselves closer to the opener...by then they will be in their spring routine and I will have more to work with than "this is where they were in February"...

thanx to the last four, i don't know about kat's but i can look for phone wires to cut though. I'll try to scout the areas around me and get permission. I already have one trail cam out on my neighbors and permission from them to hunt. Hopefully the rest of them will be just as willing to let me. Thanx again!

My theory on turkeys (and deer) is if you are in the woods with thoughts of doing them in, they can sense the threat you are emitting subconsciously.

That is why you must purge your mind of all thoughts except that you are their best friend. As they get in range, you change your mind quickly.

Works every time!
evil.gif

Top Bottom