Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mineral blocks

bjkpharmd

About time to get mineral block or granules out.

What type of site to you prefer? Shady, sunny, wet, dry, ... ?

Mine was in a very shady area surrounded by thickets of rose and blackberry. Good cover for the deer. It was well drained until the deer dug a pit. Over the years I would just let it dry out and pour more in the hole they made. I filled it in two years ago with dirt because I wanted to put a stand in the area. They haven't been back since I filled it with dirt. I also cut back the thicket.

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
Mine was in a very shady area surrounded by thickets of rose and blackberry. Good cover for the deer. It was well drained until the deer dug a pit. Over the years I would just let it dry out and pour more in the hole they made.
The 'Bonker

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty much my situation. I have one that's in flat lowland and one that's on high ground (cedars and semi-open) same thing, they dig holes knee deep. I use trace mineral and sheep mineral mixed (loose). They use it heaviest now and again in late summer.
Never have used any expensive "promise to grow monster racks" formulas...just stuff from the local feed store.
smirk.gif

I put some Vita-Rack out in the CRP once and felt like it was a mistake since it dried out so much in the sun and the clay soil. My current active mineral sites are in semi-moist soil, with overhead leaf cover and decent surrounding cover. They get a lot of action all Spring and Summer.

I will throw a vote in for the bottom flat type area with moist soil and plenty of close bedding cover. Clay soil works very well for holding the minerals and it won't leach out like sandy soils. Too dry, or too permeable soils.....not good!
grin.gif

There is no better way to access your future Fall prospects on your own ground than a mineral site or two and trail cams.

Top Bottom