Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mineral Lick Question

"Say someone started a mineral post back in april to put a camera over and give their deer a little more minerals during the spring and summer months. But come November and on a ridge 100 yds away they are sitting in a treestand when all of the sudden MR. Booner walks by headed in the direction of the mineral post."

Up in N.E. Iowa where I hunt we put out numerous blocks for the deer for the spring and summer. Anybody that puts one out I am sure put it in their travel pattern somewhat so they find it. This same pattern is followed in the fall also. It just is not used as much by the deer.
You surely would not put one out in the middle of the field where they will not find it.
I really think it will depend on who turns you in and what for.
Like dbl said it comes down to morales and ethics.
I sure would hate to shoot the next World Record and have the block 50 yards away though.
blush.gif

Here is what you need to do each September...

Reclaim the soil back to it's original state...kind of like they do for contaminated soil under an old gas station. Bring in a Trac-hoe and a tandem axle truck, dig out all the soil that is contaminated with salt and minerals, and dump it about five miles from your hunting grounds. Then, truck in fresh soil and refill.

This seems like a lot of work I know, but when you shoot the next archery state record you will have no worries about the next jealous hunter claiming you "baited" that 5.5 year old buck into a salt lick.

Just a little advise .....
evil.gif

Ghost,
You talked me into it.
I will use the skidloader for the digging and get it tested afterwards.

I agree it seems like a lot of work
but I don't want any questions asked
afterwards.
grin.gif

BTW - You need to post a couple of pictures of the new plot.

Risto

Ghost, If you got the time and the backhoe I could sure use the help relocating my mineral plots come Sept.
grin.gif

Risto where do you hunt in N.E. Iowa if I may ask?

J.J.
Good morning!!
I hunt between Waukon and Lansing.
I have hunted up there since I was a little boy. There are a lot of places to hunt there. What about you? Where are your stomping grounds?
Hope you have a nice day.
Risto

All the state land in Allamakee and Winneshiek County.
grin.gif
Oh and a few private farms too. A buddy of mine has some ground southwest of waukon so we've been spending a lot of time scouting this area. I wish I was fortunate enough to call a place my own up here but not yet anyway. Maybe not ever the way things are going around here. Oh well I'm fortunate that I do have some private land to hunt.

JJ,
Good evening !!
Pretty country up there. I have hunted it for about 20 years. I have a small cabin and some land. I agree on the land prices. They are going sky high.
I cannot believe what people will pay for some of the land. That is why I locked mine up as soon as I could. That way there was no question where I could hunt in the future.
My cousin hunts some of the public lands up there. He has seen some real monsters up there.
I will be heading up in a couple of days to make sure everthing is mowed, food plots are cleaned up and check the cam traker.
Hope you have a great 4th of July.
Risto

Top Bottom