Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mineral question

KSQ2

PMA Member
A couple of weeks ago someone mentioned Super 6 Mineral Meal from Stockade products as a lick in a bag. I've had a hard time tracking some of this down locally. A local feed store does have some different mineral, the highest calcium concentration I could find was 16% min. 18% max. Is this adequate? What are the most important minerals (phosperous, potassium?), and what percentages are enough to do some good?

I did make a post on the Super 8 mineral from Stockade. What I look for is a 2:1 ratio of calcium to phosphorous, hoping that the calcium is somewhere around 20%. I also want enough salt in it to make it attractive, but not too much that they get their fill of salt with only a few licks. I want them to have to work for the salt so that they eat more mineral. Just my two cents.

I just bought a couple bags of the super 6 mineral hope to get it out this week. I'm not going to be too late am I? What sight prep do you do or do you just dump in on the ground? I see your from Jayhawk county the Stockade website says they are based out of Pittsburg, KS so you might be able to go right to the manufacture. Here is their ph. number. (800) 835-0306

My local elevator finally ordered some for me. I put it out last week. I don't think it's too late to put it out, especially if you put it in a place the deer will find it quickly. I just did what everyone else does as far as site prep. I worked up (shoveled) a diameter of about 4' of ground and raked the mineral in. I haven't looked to see if they're hitting it yet. I'll probably put the camera over it in a couple of weeks if it looks like they've found it.

Not too late whatsoever. Earlier the better (after spring thaw) to get one going but they'll find and use them until fall. They'll probably find it pretty fast but if you want to be sure, throw a bag or partial bag of ear corn (also from Co-op) on top of freshly made lick.

I started four licks last July and although late, I had them hitting it non stop within days and continued through the fall. I can't wait to get my cameras out in July. Very excited to see who turned into what :)

I bought a bad of mineral off the farmer where I hunt and it has min-max 20-24% calcium butthe phosphorus is only 0.1 %. It has the salt in it as well and is not too expensive, but is the low phosphorus a big issue? I think our forage is pretty good anyhow with all of the crops etc!

All of the above is good advice. However, a colleague of mine actually did a scientific study comparing a cheap mineral mix purchased from the local coop to some of the commercial mineral licks, which of course were much more expensive. He found that the cheap custom mix from the coop outperformed all of the commercial mixes in every way!

Anyone interested in the published article can e-mail me and I will forward it. If I knew how to add a link or otherwise post the article, I would.

My e-mail address is...

[email protected]

Mick

Top Bottom