Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mineral sources

teacher

There was a post in the QDM section with no replies, so I thought I'd try it here. Does anyone use mineral supplements? What have been your results, good or bad? Thanks

I have used Vita-Rack, made by Hunter's Specialties, the last two years and will continue this year. I now have very well established sites, about one per 40 acres of land.

I made a mistake the first year and put some of the sites out in the CRP proper. One of the negatives is that the ground dried out so much in the direct sunlight that the deer struggled to "work" the soil. I moved my sites into relatively moist areas under tree canopy and that really helped.

FWIW - I attended a seminar last year sponsored by Antler King and the rep said if he could only choose between food plots and mineral sites, he would choose mineral sites. Both are preferrable, but the mineral sites are #1.

I made a few mineral sites on our property last year. They got used a lot. I don't if they made a difference in the deer quality but I'm sure it didn't hurt. I plan on making some more this year with a recipe I got off another site:

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

-mike

Top Bottom