Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Minimum grain for muzz.

Tucker

My 11 yr old daughter wants to go youth hunting 2014. I have a .45 cal muzzy. Can she shoot a 180 grain bullet with 50 grain pellet and make a kill? She was shooting the .410 today and loving it! I'd hate to let her shoot a 100 grain pellet and refuse to pull a trigger ever again. She is small framed like her mother and very soft hearted. Don't want to injure deer either. Wish she could go archery (she is very accurate)but afraid with the pounds she can pull the arrow would just bounce off! Any help in what you have done would be appreciated. We have tower stands and longest shot would be 50 yds. I love that she is showing the interest but don't want to ruin her for life. Help!!

I know someone that let their son(s) shoot 50 grains for practice rounds, but when it was "go time", the load somehow was a little heavier, maybe the standard 90 grains. :D

No one ever knew, with the excitement of shooting at a deer and so forth, they felt fine! A good rest and close supervision to make sure their is good gun butt to shoulder contact is advised too.

I know someone that let their son(s) shoot 50 grains for practice rounds, but when it was "go time", the load somehow was a little heavier, maybe the standard 90 grains. :D

No one ever knew, with the excitement of shooting at a deer and so forth, they felt fine! A good rest and close supervision to make sure their is good gun butt to shoulder contact is advised too.

That is exactly how I have done all three of my kids. Practice with 50 grains, load 100grains (pellets) when hunting. Just don't tell them and they won't feel a thing. Amazingly, the point of impact out to 75 yards is the same with both loads through our gun. My kids aren't allowed to shoot more than 60 yards and always shoot off a rest.

x3 on this strategy...it worked well with both my son and daughter. The only thing I would add is that if you have a .22, it's a great way to get the youngsters lots of practice on their shooting form, holding steady, controlling their breathing, etc. without fear of recoil. Good luck...the best of times are ahead for you and your daughter.

NWBuck

powder

I have been using 50 grains with my kids for the last 6 years. never had a probelm with it and have killed deer out to 200 yards and dropped them dead. I really dont think its even necessary to use 100 grains

My kids have shot 30+ deer with 50 grn.

I have been using 50 grains with my kids for the last 6 years. never had a probelm with it and have killed deer out to 200 yards and dropped them dead. I really dont think its even necessary to use 100 grains

My kids have shot 30+ deer with 50 grn.

50 grains of powder out to 200 yards???
How high are you sighted in at say 75 yards. Im imagining about 6+ ft of drop at 200 yards.
You also must be shooting a very light bullet, Ive filmed some muzzeloader shots with 50 grains of powder and you can actually see bullet if you slow the footage down a little

50 grains of powder out to 200 yards???
How high are you sighted in at say 75 yards. Im imagining about 6+ ft of drop at 200 yards.
You also must be shooting a very light bullet, Ive filmed some muzzeloader shots with 50 grains of powder and you can actually see bullet if you slow the footage down a little

Not at all, the gun I have sighted in for my kids which is a 50 caliber knight extreme elite I shoot a 285 grn. bullet, I have a nikon buckmaster BDC scope on it which is sighted in at 90 yards and is very flat shooting inside of that. The first cricle is dead on at 190. I have several muzzleloaders in .45 and .50 and .52 and do alot of blackpowder shooting. also I use triple seven pellets.

We have only lost 1 deer with this setup,maybe it was just a bad shot, but it is amazing what just 50 grns of powder will do

My 7 year old shoots 60 grains of loose powder in my TC Omega , never had a problem out to 150. Try it once , they shoot and kill just fine. Anybody that says different doesn't have a clue what they are talking about , and that is a fact !

If you like the ease of using pellets, keep in mind that you can also get 30 grain pellets which opens up the option of 60 or 80 grains. I started my boys with 60 (two 30's) and then bumped up to 80 (50 and 30). This was in a youth Rossi .50 cal. Taking the kids is lots of fun!

Daver gives great advice. the alternative is to get a Savage. I shot 42 grains of smokeless, you can see after the shot, they are deadly accurate (so you could use the same load) & a piece of cake to clean with way less fouling. My 13 year was gun shy 2 years ago until i switched and now he cannot get enough. It is so awesome when kids join us hunting. Good Luck!

Me and my brother will be dealing with this in the not so distant future. I will defiantly do some playing around this spring when it warms up.
I know that 80 grains of blackhorn gets the job done. Ill play around with 40-50 grains of blackhorn, that should be very easy for a youngster to shoot

Youth Powder

My son shot his 2nd buck this year with 60 grains of blackhorn 209 and a 200 grain Shockwave. Last year was at 65 yards and this season was at 75 yards, both double lung shots. It's a deadly combo for kids.

Does anyone use White Shots for their pellets? They are recommended be CVA for use in all their guns. I have had much of a chance to shoot at a deer with one, but they seem to work just fine target shooting.

Thanks to everyone for the valuable information. Camie (daughter) wanted to start practicing tonight since :)"The Iowa Whitetail Guys":) said it was o.k. She is very good with the .22 rifle already. She can almost outshoot me with the .22 pistol too!
I think I was just being the overprotective parent of my only daughter, never want to see her hurt or disappointed. Thanks again!

Tucker

A lot of great advise! My boys were both late to get their growth spurts, so when they started shooting deer with the muzzy, they were 6 and 7 years old and way under 50lbs, with 1 50 gr pellet. Using good ear protection is also very important, and like said before, make sure they have the butt solid against the shoulder. My oldest son, when he was 10 got scoped, big time. He is still very proud of that scar, got the buck though.

Top Bottom