Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Minnow Identification?

sofakingfast_1

I have a friend wanting a Iowa Minnow identification guide. Muddy i remember you making one and i believe its in THA4's magazine but i cant confirm it because im working out of town. Anything i can get ahold of online?

There are three books I use when keying out minnows. Do a google search on Amazon for the following, listed in order of cheapest to most expensive...

Iowa Fish and Fishing - has no fish key unless you get the antique version from the 50's. I recommend this book as a supplement to one of the other two. It gives fish ranges in the state that are "fairly" accurate.

Fishes of Missouri by Phlieger - excellent fish key and shows the ranges as well. Is mostly a Missouri book but Iowa and Missouri fish populations are pretty similar. You can buy this book for about $25 shipped from the Missouri Department of Conservations web page. I use this book A LOT.

Fishes of Wisconsin - very very nice book, but expensive, look to spend over $125 for it. I don't own my own, yet.

I would get the Iowa book and the Missouri book, that will allow you to identify 95% of the minnows in our state... if you can figure out the technical jargon.

i was gonna say, "ask Mud"
but i see the nerd already found you...... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom