Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Missed Opportunity

spinefxr

PMA Member
Well, after 4 hours in the stand Saturday afternoon, I spotted a small 4 point about 50 yds in front of me feeding in a pasture. I became fixated on him, thinking there might be another buck with him. Anyway, to my left I suddenly notice something, and it's a huge 10 pt. He passes my stand at 20 yds., but he's walking along, and I start to draw and he stops right behind some branches, so I can't shoot. I thought he saw me move, but he continues on quartering away, and at about 30 yards he hops the fence and stands right next to the 4 pt. Anyway, they are both standing behind some small bushes, and I can't make a good shot. Then they both moved off together towards some standing corn. The thing that gets me, is I was set up perfect, and had been watching the direction the 10 pt. came from all afternoon. I was so caught up watching the first deer, I never saw the big one as he passed through my shooting lanes. Man, I was sick! went back out early this a.m., but didn't see anything.

Don't be too bummed out.Its happened to the best of us.Besides you'll get another chance that will be better.

The one that got away stories are always going to be prevalent in hunting.

I still remember the two huge whitetails I missed when I first started hunting. I remember them as mythically huge. One just may be one of the largest bodied bucks I've ever layed eyes upon. His hindquarters looked as big as a horse's. The other was a 140 class buck, but back then I was seventeen and it was by far the largest buck I'd ever seen. It also would have been the county record with a bow back then too.

But, over the years, as I made those mistakes, I learned from each and every one of them. In fact, each time out, I try to analyze everything, seek out my mistakes, and improve the next time. My skills have improved and now I have fewer "one that got away stories" and more photos from successful hunts.

Mourn for a day, then learn from it. Don't make the same mistake again and next time you'll be more likely to make that opportunity count.

And until then, consider yourself blessed to have seen such a magnificent buck. Its bigger than anything I've seen yet this year...and you're blessed with a hunting memory you'll never forget.

Good luck.

That happened to me last year with a big eight. I was watching a group of does walking towards me when I heard a branch snap behind me, sure enough a buck. By the time I was ready to shot he was already past my good shooting lane. I grunted and stopped him where I cut a narrow shooting lane, but i didn't see a small branch and you know what that means. Anyway I was really ticked,he was the fourth big buck to get close to me but the only one to offer me a shot and I thought I really blew it. He came back the next night and Iwas ready. Hes hanging on my wall. grossed 133 and netted 125 5/8. He'll be back.

This is my first year bow hunting after years of shotgun, and I tell you it was great. Even after the big one got by, I still could watch him out of bow range. I asked my eight yr old son if it was better to not see a deer, or have a big one get away, and he said- "Seeing one." He's right.

Don't let the 'what ifs' get you down too much...... I commend you on your ethics and not forcing a poor shot..... unfortunately too many guys would have attempted a shot...... Good luck the rest of the season!

They have a way of sneaking up on you. Friend of mine was in his stand on Saturday evening in the woods and happened to look down and behind his stand only to be suprised to see a small buck standing there. He had been intently watching and listening for deer and this one snuck up on him in relatively open woods with dry leaves on the ground.

Don't let that be a negative to your hunting. Just the opportunity to be out there is as good as it gets.

The season is young. Don't want to loose them hours of recreation.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom