Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Missed shot from blind.

Hillwalker

Saturday evening my boy and I set up my ameristep blind and I called in a Major Tom to my hen/jake setup. He struted right by my first window and struted hard in front of the jake decoy. He gave me 2 shots at 6 yards. I shot through the netting and missed him clean both times. I could not find my arrows in the alfalfa field. But after the shots I took a shot at a round hay bale and hit my spot perfectly at 10 yards. Did the netting miss direct my arrow or did I just choke. Has anyone shot through the netting at an Angle or do you need to shoot directly straight on through the netting. The way the Tom came in I could have had the net removed and still got off the shots. Next time I will not try a shoot threw. Comments welcome. My boy said OH well dad don't worry it was neat seeing him come struting in. But i did not have the digital camara with me that time. It would have been a good picture as he was only 2 yards from my first window as he came by. As far as the Ameristep Doghouse blind goes it worked excellent as I set it next to 3 large round bales and a Jake mounting the hen setup.

Onecam had indicated to me that some heads could be a problem. I have since read some info at Doulebullarchery.com about shooting through the net and it is not recommended for all broadhead types. I shoot spitfires and will change to a different head or not shoot through the net come fall deer season.

I lost 2 Montec broad heads. The cuts looked good through the netting but maybe it grabbed the fletchings and whipped the arrow shaft around. I would have thought I should have at least had some feathers laying around after the shot. The shot was so close that I can't believe I missed. This weekend I will try again.

Hillwalker,
It shouldn't have affected the arrow flight but who knows. I never use the netting while turkey hunting it just isn't necessary. What kind of broadheads are you using...? Man, that is hard luck though glad to hear your son still liked the experience!

Limb, My son took a nice 23 lber second season with his 20 gauge. It was his 3rd Tom with the gun and wants to try the bow already. He is only 13 and has taken a doe with his Hoyt Banshee last year. He is hooked and always want to go. He said he even wants to go out after the season and just video and take pictures. I have created a monster says the wife.

http://www.doublebullarchery.com/store_nets.html

Heres a link to Doublebull's comments on the subject. As I reread it sounds like very few broadhead types should have problems.
confused.gif

You may have created a monster but at least you know where your monster is... I can only hope my little buddy will want to tag along... you have a lifelong hunting partner. Congrats! I grew up hunting, fishing, playing all the sports... heck I didn't have time to get in trouble... honest...
evil.gif

It sounds like you've got a great thing going. My time hunting with family is what it's all about for me.

Let us know what you figure out about those shots. I am new to blind hunting and have pletty to learn.

Hillwalker,

I've done alot of experimenting shooting through the net on my DB and found a few things that may be helpful.

1. The wall of the net must be straight, not in the shape of a V. This will throw the arrows off wildly.

2. Fixed heads fly much better through the net than mechanicals. Mechanicals at a severe angle through the net can be off by quite a bit.

3. Feathers are not affected as much as vanes.

4. When the wall is straight and the shot is straight out, the arrrows fly like darts - perfect.

5. Even knowing all of this, I missed 3 toms and a jake on the same afternoon earlier this season
shrug[1].gif

6. Next time I'm presented with a 25 yard shot I'm waiting until it's less than 20.

Good Luck!

NWBuck

i don't shoot throught the mesh at all. turkeys are so retarded that i've had them walk up and nip at the brush i had tied to my blind and look in teh windows damn near. i always shoot through open windows. deer hutning i choose the treesstanc but if i did use my blind i'd probably try to get away with open windows somehow.

Top Bottom