Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mistaken Identity Gets Double Lunged- Video and Story

sureshot

The Hunt Never Ends....
I, like many of you, live, breath, and while sleeping, dream about big whitetails. In the past, I've had some great luck going after specific bucks, or at least putting myself in a position to do so. If another big one walks in before hand, well, then that's fine too :D

Here is where the story of 'Mistaken Identity' begins. If you would rather watch the video (which is somewhat glitchy for some reason?), then please do so. If you are interested, you can watch it here; 'Mistaken Identity' w/ Chris Dunkin

Due to work constraints and prior obligations, I didn't even step foot in a treestand in the month of October. I did, however, run trail cameras hard in hopes of better patterning some of my hit list bucks. As the end of October neared, I was getting a good feel for what bucks were on the farms I hunted. Two bucks in particular really caught my attention, not because they were the biggest bucks I could hunt, but because they were living on a farm (death row) that's easy to hunt. You see, 'death row' is a farm consisting mainly of CRP, with some draws, making it much easier to hunt than some of the other big timbered farms that I have permission on. I have now killed my last 4 bucks on this farm, in a combined total of 7 sits.

AWOL was one of the bucks on Death Row;
4-6.jpg

Rookie was the other;
PRMS00612.jpg

Rookie and I have quite the history. I have 100's of trail camera photos of him, as well as a close encounter last year. We also found his shed. In all honesty, he was the buck I really wanted to kill. Here is the encounter I had with him last year on November 4th, 2011. (click part 1)

Based on multiple sightings and trail cam pictures, I knew where Rookie was living at on 'death row.' Once my vacation started, I decided that I would go after him when the wind was right.

On November 3rd, that happened. With Blake Lefler tagging along with the video camera, we made our way to Rookies bedroom; a super thick draw in the center of the farm.
20121112_113312.jpg

We set up in a 'central hub' where multiple draws ran together and waited;
20121112_113237.jpg

It wasn't long before bucks were filtering past us. Rut action was hot and heavy, and it seemed that each time I rattled a buck would come in. Numerous bucks were chasing does up and down the draw. I knew that it was going to be a special night;
20121112_111934.jpg

20121112_111901.jpg

20121112_112020.jpg

As darkness fell, I was in awe. I had just had one of the best hunts of my life, and didn't even release an arrow. I planned on returning in the morning, and had high hopes that Rookie would come by.

Shortly after first light I rattled, and immediately had a young buck with great potential come running in. The morning action was starting off just as it ended the evening before;
20121112_114545.jpg

20121112_112108.jpg

A short while later, a flock of turkeys made their way by;
20121112_114451.jpg

Last edited:
As the rest of the morning progressed, we saw 8-9 different bucks, with all of them being 2-3 years old. I had a feeling that Rookie may have been on the opposite side of the farm, so around 11 we decided to down our Muddy Bloodsports and head to the other side of the farm to hang and hunt. While walking out movement 100yds in front of me caught my eye, and I quickly realized a good buck was working his way towards me. He had short 2s, with long 3s and 4s. 'ROOKIE' immediately flashed through my head, and I went into kill mode;
20121112_112224.jpg

Blake and I took cover next to an old culvert that had been pulled from the creek crossing, and the buck continued to work towards us. At 35yards he rubbed a tree while grunting loudly. He then continued to walk with his mouth wide open towards my shooting lane at 34 yards;
20121112_112337.jpg

Once he stepped into the opening I settled my pin and squeezed. My arrow flew spot on, and the buck let out a roar before running down into the draw. Knowing that I had just smoked him, I immediately jumped to my feet just as the buck was exiting the draw and stepped foot into the opening. He stopped and looked at me, and while we were in a stare down I could see his blood pumping out of his body and falling onto the ground below. It was an amazing feeling. As he turned and bounded away, I knew he was mine. After finding my arrow, we immediately started to follow the blood trail;
20121112_112408.jpg

20121112_112451.jpg

20121112_112426.jpg

We found him just around the corner from where I had last seen him. After closer examination, I quickly realized that I had had a case of 'Mistaken Identity' (hence the bucks name). Although he wasn't Rookie, I was still super excited to have killed a great buck, and to do so off the ground and on video.
IMG_2247.jpg

BlakeandI.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

I ended up having a photo of this buck from October 28th, cruising the draw only about 50yards from where I shot him;
photo-10.jpg

While walking back to the truck, Blake pointed out a buck standing on the opposite hillside. After a closer look, I could see that it was Rookie. He bounded off over the hill chasing a doe and down into the draw where I had just shot my buck. I couldn't help but shake my head and smile as I knew that he was still around, and that the story of Rookie was not yet over........
20121112_112517.jpg

Great story on that buck and I have no doubt you haven't seen the last of Rookie! Congrats!

-Longspurs-

That is an awesome buck and a heck of a story! I have a feeling we might be hearing about "Rookie" in the future! Congratulations!

pretty sweet deal, Chris. I like the way Rookie decided to give ya a nod before you guys departed. Hope ya get him, yet.

Top Bottom