Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mitch Rompola

Iowa1

Whatever happened to him and his buck?

How can he just slip away quietly like this? Doesn't seem fair to never know the real story.

The Rompola story faded away after some legal challenges. Seems he was claiming to have the new world record, litigation came from Milo Hanson (current world record holder)....something to the effect that if he was going to claim to have the record they wanted it entered and scored by B&C to back it up. Rompola backed down and refrained from calling his deer the new world record to avoid more legal action...his entire story and how he got the deer is questionable, many think that's why he won't have it officially scored. North American Whitetail magazine did follow up articles on this, don't recall what issue it was in.

Yes I know all that, but certainly there's a real story behind what actually happened. Sure would like to hear it someday. Maybe on his deathbed he'll tell.

Here's a link to a story.
Rompolagate

Here's one with a personal reponse from Rompola.
From the Horses Mouth

Another link to the Traverse City paper.
Traverse City RECORD EAGLE

These should have you more confused than ever.
grin.gif

I dont claim to know the whole story here but how exactly can someone legaly tell someone else they have to have thier deer scored and entered into the record books?

If I shot a world record buck and didnt want to score or enter him Id like to think thats my right, not the decision of the current world record holder.You shouldnt have to involve your lawyers in deer hunting, it kinda takes the fun outta the sport

Horst-
My understanding is that Rompola was claiming his was the world record without having it officially scored. Milo Hanson sued to make Rompola quit claiming his buck was the world record (until he would allow it to be offially scored). Milo was basically protecting his rights to the title: World Record Buck. Oh and I agree bringing in lawyers really seems to take the fun out of it
smirk.gif

i too would like to know the hole story. last i heard was that the antler were possibly fake but later they were confirmed to be legit. one thing i strongly believe is that it is really stupid for milo and mitch are arguing over something like this. i personally feel that milo has let the title world record go to his head.i feel that fighting over something like this is disrespectful to hunting and deer in general. in my hunting party i do everything i can to get everyone a nice buck. because i am just as excited when a person from my family shoots a nice buck as if i would have shot it. in fact 3 years ago my brother in law and i were walking through the woods together during shotgun season and saw a dandy 8 point scoring 139 4/8, i was the first to see it and pulled up on it and asked him if he wanted it he could have it and he shot and i was shaking worst than he was. i myself feel that milo needs to look at this like "well someone now has one bigger then me, now i've got to get out there and get my title back. it's all a buch of non-sense. also opinions are like assholes everyones got one. no i'm not bashing milo i just feel that he is looking at this wrong.
beerchug.gif

the funny thing is that he never claimed to have the next world record he simply said it scored more than the hansen buck. hansen said they got a laywer because of losing money cause no was interest in their head at shows any more, thus the decline in the sales of hat and shirt and stuff. i think it is ashame that we the public have done so many disheartening things to make this man go into exile and not talk about it. is it real??? who knows but i bielieve it is until proven different. and i feel like this man should be given more credit than he does.

mike

check this out

www.freep.com/sports/outdoors/qxdeer6.htm

I have heard that there was video of the deer, does anyone know if the video was of the deer alive????

I honestly think the fact that Rampola chose not to have the buck scored speaks volumes. I know that if I shot a buck and was claiming that it was the new typical world record and Milo challenged me, I would not hesitate to have the damn thing scored and verified. I also agree with everyone that this all takes so much away from the SPORT of harvesting a quality deer....

My 2 cents....

hey kansabowhunter another thing that i read on some website was from a guy who gave whitetail seminars and 2 years before rompola took this buck he had told this guy that he was after a buck that was going to break some records and that there was video footage of the deer. so who knows! one thing this site has done for me is that almost everybody has killed a bigger deer then my biggest and almost everyone on here is a really good shed hunter and ya'll have basically given me something to shoot for even though i don't have the resources that some people may have. but one day ya'll we'll be saying "MAN I WISH I COULD SHOOT A WORLD RECORD TYPICAL AND NON-TYPICAL LIKE SPLITG3."LOL LOL LOL LOL
yay.gif
yay.gif
yay.gif
yay.gif
yay.gif

Hey SplitG3, I'll make a deal with you, when either of us shoot that next world record we will tour the show circuit together!!!!!!!!!

works for me! just think of all the people that are going to want to be just like you and me. we will own the hunting world kansasbowhunter. i can see our name in lights now "KANSABOWHUNTER AND SPLITG3 THE GREATEST HUNTERS IN THE WORLD, STEP RIGHT UP AND TAKE A PEEK AND THE LARGEST WHITETAILS EVER BEEN KILLED BY A HUNTER. dirtball will also have his name on there too. hey kansasbowhunter did you notice how i put your name first in lights? IS MY DREAM OVER YET?

Seriously, dreams are what keep us all going....

Like Alaskanwhitetail said... Shed hunting and dreaming of shed hunting!!!

I think we all will agree on one point!!! We all dream of harvesting the big one!!!! It helps me keep motivated!!!

Mark....

Kansasbowhunter, I read that the video footage of the deer is after mitch arrowed it. He shot it knowing the deer died not too far away then went home before tracking the deer and retrieved his video camera. I believe this video is where much of the skepticism came from. I also read though that Mitch does indeed have some pictures of the deer alive. Thats where even more doubt came in. One pic. was said to have been taken in 1997 which showed the exact same rack on the deer as it sported when Mitch supposedly shot it. The photos are ones that are said to be very easily altered. Nothing in motion. Check out North American Whitetails rumor vs. reality (part three). Really interesting. As for my opinion, I would like to believe the story is true but there are far too many grey areas to be 100% sure either way. I dont Know.

I have not read any of the links so I hope I don't overlap anything.

Commemorative Bucks of Michigan which keeps track of record deer list 11 deer taken by Rompola that would score at least 125" the P&Y minimum. "Thats amazing"

Rompola has a reputation as one of the best big-buck archery hunters anywhere. His 181 7/8" (B&C scoring) 12-pt. taken in 1985 in Grand Traverse County is still (last time I checked) the state
record.

Unfortunately, Rompola's past doesn't help him. Rompola never submitted one buck to the P&Y club which seems odd for someone who was once an official scorer for the group. Apparently P&Y wont recognize the deer because he uses a compound bow that has too much relief.

Once an official scorer for P&Y, Rompola was droped as a measurer and member. Dismissal occurred shortly after in 1994 he pled guilty to attemptin to use an eavesdropping device and possession of such a device.

A spokesman for B&C said Rompola is not in the record book. He was once an official measurer, but is not any longer, and there will be no further comment.

There's more, in 1980 Rompola was convicted in federal court of felony mail theft. So immediately, people raised the character issue.

These issues might explain why Rompola wont score his buck.

Hunt on All4s

Ill say this much for Mitch.When people started saying that he couldnt of taken a buck of that size in the area he was hunting I had to laugh.

I live in one of the lowest counties in the state for the number of record book bucks shot but I see em every year.Hell, I got 3 on the wall that might make P&Y if I decided to have em measured.

He mighta been the only guy in history to have enough sense to just want to avoid all the headaches that come with shooting a world record deer.If he had measured it after all the controversy he wouldnt have been off the hook anyway, the stories woulda just changed and hed of suddenly been a poacher.The way he did it just took him outta the spotlight a lot quicker.

i agree horst i think he was looking for the quickest out

mike

Top Bottom