Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ML loads

duckaholic

I am planning on doing some experimental shooting with my Omega. I want to shoot a variety of sabots through my gun to see what shoots the best groups. I already know what powder I will be shooting but the round itself is in the air. I am looking for a round that is not only accurate at longer distances but one that is going give me the most damage on impact at any range. Also, if you find a particular powder charge that seems to fit that bullet, let me know!

Last year I shot 100 gr. Dead Center and was very unhappy with the groups that it shot. I know a few others who shoot that same round out of the same gun and performs well.

I have excellent luck with the T/C shock waves 200 grain. My omega will group about 5 inches at 200 yards. I also shoot 120 grains of triple seven powder.

As for knock down, it definitly does the job, and sometimes, plus some. Leaves a nasty hole.

I shoot a TC 54 cal. with 2 50 grain pyrodex pellets and barnes expander bullets and have never once been disappointed with accuracy or destructivness.

I buy my sabots in bulk from Del Ramsey. Then, I go buy Hornady XTP bullets (box of one hundred .452 250 grain bullets per box or fifty 300 grain bullets). Right now my preference is for the 250 grain XTP. I never tried the 300 XTP mag as they were talked down on some forums I follow.

T/C does not manufacture bullets but has the Hornady SST packaged with MMP sabots and the T/C label slapped on them. I have shot the Hornady 250 grain SST's and didn't like how they blew up (fragmented) on close shots. I never tried the 300 grain SST that many people rave about. The longer 300 grain SST has a better ballistic coefficient so it should be more stable for the longer shots (with a little less wind drift). Also, the SST's are not available in bulk and I didn't like spending a dollar a shot just on the bullet/sabot combo.

Some people swear by the Harvester crush rib sabot. I have no experience with them since the MMP products suit me fine.

A guy can spend a lot of time and money with all the bullet/sabot combos out there. I think a person has roughly two options on finding a load. You can go the 2 (or three) 50 grain pellet powder route and test bullet/sabot combos until you find one that shoots well or you can choose a bullet and vary the amount of loose powder until you find the powder charge that gives the best accuracy (might have to try a few bullet/sabot combos with this method as well).

Keep us posted on how things go.

I tried quite a few bullets in my Encore and had the best luck with the Hornady SST 250gr (never tried the 300gr). As for powder I like the T7 and switched to loose last year for flexibility and $ savings. My buddy and I played around quite a bit with a chronograph and found that there was a definate ballistic advantage to upping the powder, at least in terms of bullet drop over longer distances. I settled on 125gr of loose T7 which grouped well and shot a fair bit flatter than 100gr. My Encore would shoot that combo into 1.5", my buddies Omega would group it 1" consistantly. Your mileage may vary, the only way to know is burn powder.

I shoot the TC 250 shock wave with 100 grains of T7 pellets in my Omega. Polk City only has a 100 yard range, but I sure liked the grouping at that distance. In the field I took a doe at 140 yards last year and noticed very little drop at that distance. Also made a very nice blood trail to follow, coarse only had to go about 30 yards.

I have been shooting power belts-245 grains (green package) out of my omega with 100 grains of pyrodex pellets.

With open sights at 100 yards I am smokin a pie plate every shot.

Works well for me.

My Omega shoots 3 T-7 50 grain pellets, 250 gr TMZ Barnes bullet, Win ML primers very well. Grps average 1.5 inches at 100 yds. This bullet expands great at 10 yds or 100, lots of internal damage. Big exit hole! Have shot it out to 150 yds, about a 6 inch drop at the most. Be prepared for a sharp kick but the deer is likely going down!
Funny, 2 pellets would only grp about 6 inches at 100 yds, tried 4-5 differient bullets and weights? But, that's the only charge I've tried.
grin.gif

Shoot the 200gr. TC Shockwaves with 100 grains of 777 pushing it. I had great luck last year with this combo, killed three deer all of which went a grand total of about 60 yds. I shot 2 deer at 15 yards and dropped them on the spot and one at about 75 that ran 60 yds before crashing. This combo seems to pack a great punch for me.

However, I am considering a switch and trying what JNRBRONC shoots, he has done a lot of homework on ML loads and he has good results for a much cheaper price than I am paying.

Kratz

I'm going to Colorado on a cow hunt with the Encore this coming September. Just getting around to researching loads that are legal in CO. NO sabots or pelletized powder allowed. Right now I've got a package of the 338gr Powerbelt Platinums, a package of 385gr Hornady Great Plains and some granular 777. If anyone has any experience or recommendations for legal/lethal loads in Colorado I'd appreciate it!

You might take a look at High Performance Muzzleloading loads.

The chart runs a little heavy on the Hornady XTP bullet, but scroll down and you will see the White loads at the bottom. For those restricted from sabot use, look at White bullets or other maxi-balls. I used to shoot 385 grain maxis pushed by 90 grains of Pyrodex out of my Remington 870 MZ barrel, as sabot loads were all over the target.

In regards to Powerbelt bullets, it seems to be either a love or hate relationship. I have never tried them so can't comment from personal experience.

Colorado is open sight only (no scopes), right?

[ QUOTE ]

In regards to Powerbelt bullets, it seems to be either a love or hate relationship. I have never tried them so can't comment from personal experience.

Colorado is open sight only (no scopes), right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had one CVA Apollo years ago that would send powerbelts to the bullseye. Since then I've never had any luck and haven't put any through the Encore so I thought I'd give them another try.

Scopes are not allowed either. Hopefully a nice fat cow comes within 100 yards. She'll fit nicely in my freezer when she gets home
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to Colorado on a cow hunt with the Encore this coming September. Just getting around to researching loads that are legal in CO. NO sabots or pelletized powder allowed. Right now I've got a package of the 338gr Powerbelt Platinums, a package of 385gr Hornady Great Plains and some granular 777. If anyone has any experience or recommendations for legal/lethal loads in Colorado I'd appreciate it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Willy,

I did a Colorado hunt last Fall and struggled with this for most of the Summer.

I ended up getting the very best results with the 245 grain Powerbelts (Green) and 110 grains of loose 777.

I felt real good out to 85 yards with open sites. Shoot and shoot some more!

I also put a peep site on the rear ramp and that made all the differnce in the world. I was all over the place with the factory iron sites.

Came back home to Iowa and slapped on a big scope!!!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ditto. On the 250 shockwave with 100 grains of 777. TC Omega

[/ QUOTE ]

me too!! T/C Encore

110 grains of triple 7 with the Hornady SST 250 grains! Through the Pro Hunter and couldnt be happier!!! 1 inch groups at 100 yds and 3.5 inch groups at 200yds!!!!! Awesome gun!

Top Bottom