Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

MN CWD Ground Zero Photos

DOR

Life Member
_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_IMG00271.jpg

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_IMG00269.jpg

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_IMG00268.jpg

The shaded yellow zone in the map is the Elk farm that had 4 confirmed cases of CWD

Ahhh, hence the map key I now see. From what I've read, it doesn't seem they know much more about the disease than when it was found in Wisconsin. Be interesting to see what the MN management plan will be.

Actually we have learned a great deal more since WI's initial detection. We know now that fawn infection cannot be detected until mid to late January (based on normal fawn drop). Initially it was thought that the prions were detectable in the central nervous system and certain organs only...now it can also be detected in muscle tissue. They have data on transmission rate, and distance traveled including far flung sparks. We now understand much more about defense (actively reducing population) in a densely (deer) populated area for the first time. These are just a few examples, but I am certain the Iowa DNR is up to speed on the most current knowledge data base. Yes there is a lot yet to learn, and help and cooperation is really going to be needed from hunters and landowners.

Bob

Top Bottom