Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

MN passed crossbows & HOW IT GOT THROUGH!

Really. Spoken like a true non business owner and bad consumer, You want my money but get zero information. That’s bad business. At least give me an auto reply reach around . I help my wife run her business, it’s all about contact and customer service. Without customers there is no funding. It’s funny you send money blindly not quite knowing how the organization works? Good luck with that. Could you imagine how effective the group could be with good customer service and recruiting?
It took a week or two but I eventually got this when I joined a few months ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1675.png
    IMG_1675.png
    720.1 KB · Views: 128
Windlooker
I try and do memberships once a week, Sunday evenings, but sometimes that doesn't always hold true. I'm assuming you and your wife are 2 of the 3 I put in the mail this morning. Sorry for the delay.

No worries. I’m all in. Got a little worried when I didn’t hear anything. I know everyone is busy. Now that I’m a member I wanna help keep Iowa hunting the best in the nation.

My wife and I joined the IBA a few days ago and havnt heard so much as a hello yet. Hopefully there’s more organization than I’ve seen so far. Thought about doing lifetime memberships but chose 3 years each to see what it’s like. Idk.
Give them a few days to get it , get all the info entered and get back to you
It a real person that does all this for the IBA and not an automated system or impersonal auto-respond..
All the IBA Board members that do all this are 100% volunteers and have a life, family and jobs to deal with on top of all their IBA responsibilities.

Windlooker
I try and do memberships once a week, Sunday evenings, but sometimes that doesn't always hold true. I'm assuming you and your wife are 2 of the 3 I put in the mail this morning. Sorry for the delay.
Thanks for your service as treasurer to the IBA!! Keep on keeping on Corey

Windlooker
I recently joined and got all my membership info in the mail. Keep everyone on here posted when we can volunteer to help in the lobbying process to keep Iowa like it is now.

If anyone wants to know what joining the IBA is like…. Take every memory of being in Iowa’s deer season or the benefits of iowas regulations that result in balanced age structure…. & thank the IBA for that!!!!! Woulda been gone decades ago without them!!!!!

Hmmm, you all get to muzzle load, and claiming crossbows are the enemy, I find it so dumb. Its all hunting, regardless of what u use. I hate that Iowa was shotgun only BECAUSE as i rifle hunter I saw how dangerous slug hunting was. Id love to crossbow hunting, you still gotta be in the right spot to kill a big un.

@GrayJ58 yes you do have to be in the right spot. But to kill one with a bow you have to get much closer, you have to draw undetected, you have to have spent the time to build the skills to be an effective archer. You can't use a rest like you can with a crossbow. You don't have a magnified scope. It adds a layer of skill and dedication that allows for liberal archery seasons, tag limits, etc because the harvest is lower, because it's HARDER. When Joe Schmoe can go to Bass Pro on Friday night, buy a crossbow, slap a scope on it and hit targets out to ranges well past what any semi serious archer is shooting with no skill or practice and kill a deer the very next day...it's a different thing and you're kidding yourself if you think a bow and a crossbow are the same.

Is a compound bow the same as a traditional bow? No. But the level of skill difference between a trad archer and a modern archer is pennies compared to the vast difference in skill between a modern archer and a crossbow user. Night and day.

Please do some research on the crossbow issues that have been created in PA, MI, OH, and other states that actually track crossbow use during archery seasons. It's a disaster, and it arguably takes away opportunities instead of the often used argument that crossbows add opportunity.

Michigan did a comprehensive survey two years after they opened the door to crossbows in archery season. They DOUBLED their crossbow hunters by volume in just TWO years (2009 vs 2011) and crossbow hunters were 19% of "archery" tag holders in 2009 vs 37% in 2011. Imagine what those numbers are now! I believe it's OH that confirmed that well over half and closer to 2/3s of their "archery season" hunters were using crossbows. Link to the Michigan survey:

Keep Iowa Iowa, keep crossbows out of the archery season. The only exception should be for those who physically can't draw a bow and a Dr. will sign off. Hard stop.

THIS is the problem with special interests, politicians over-riding the DNR & Hunters & “the people”. $ won. People lost. Deer management lost. Read this & think about all of this!!!!!!! Thoughts?

10 days into the archery season and crossbows equal 40% of the harvest numbers

Wow… that’s really high and it’s been hot, windy some rain ..and not ideal conditions to hunt . But it’s easier to sit with a crossbow in blind.

Minnesota had a tough winter and didn’t really need a higher harvest this year!

Wow… that’s really high and it’s been hot, windy some rain ..and not ideal conditions to hunt . But it’s easier to sit with a crossbow in blind.

Minnesota had a tough winter and didn’t really need a higher harvest this year!
With rifle season being in peak rut anyway, do you think crossbows will bring a lot of gun only hunters into the archery season or will they be content to wait for gun season?

With rifle season being in peak rut anyway, do you think crossbows will bring a lot of gun only hunters into the archery season or will they be content to wait for gun season?
That's shared in the article that the MN DNR didn't expect a big overall impact on harvest numbers because they expect a shift away from shotgun to crossbow. They did note that archery season has access to more antlerless tags, so they are watching those numbers

Thats what happened in Nebraska- guys who were typically gun only hunters saw their opportunity to hunt the entire season (Sept 1-Dec 31) with a crossbow and their guns in November. I personally know a guy who killed a 190 with a crossbow at 87 yards last season... that ain't archery.

Wow! I'm seeing the light on banning crossbows, or placing restrictions on them in archery seasons. Now, if the state's goal is to drop the overall deer #'s, this is a good way to do it, but it will definitely detract from the 'quality' of mature bucks in any state crossbows are implemented.

That's shared in the article that the MN DNR didn't expect a big overall impact on harvest numbers because they expect a shift away from shotgun to crossbow. They did note that archery season has access to more antlerless tags, so they are watching those numbers
I thought you could hunt both gun and archery in Minnesota? I can't see anyone giving up gun to become crossbow only.

I don’t trust the Minnesota DNR or the Minnesota legislature that passed this bill. They downplay all the changes they act like it won’t affect deer numbers or buck numbers . Let me tell you first hand all the changes have had a major impact !!!

In the late 90s and early 2000 there were more deer and 4-5x as many mature bucks. It’s getting steadily worse! Luckily I’m fortunate to have nice land to hunt, but I still have a tough time getting bucks past age 3!

Most Minnesota hunters do not have a prayer to shoot anything beyond a spike or a basket 8.

Minnesota has the habitat and genetics to be Top 5–maybe even Top 3!, it’s like having your best player sitting on the bench the entire game . Frustrating!

I thought you could hunt both gun and archery in Minnesota? I can't see anyone giving up gun to become crossbow only.
You can hunt from Sept 15 to Dec 31 in Minnesota! There’s seasons galore!

~29 gun season days in my zone .

I’m hearing more guys are going to do both (gun and crossbow)!

Top Bottom