Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

mock rub/scrape trees

I dont know how i missed this thread for so long. This is some incredible information. I'm definitley trying this out next fall. Very cool.

A few days ago I put a camera on a clover field to size up a single gobbler, that I always see out there. I put the camera where I always do, where a skinny dead mock tree was still at from last september. I was surprised how worked the scrape was with alot of pee in it. Checked the camera this morning and thought it was funny how much these shed bucks are still checking and marking it.
IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0087-1.jpg

IMG_0088-1.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

Oh yeah, I did get the close up of the turkey this morning, not bad. I can't tell if its a single beard or not.
IMG_0127.jpg

I'd say the turk is not a single beard. Very nice bird. The mock trees have been interesting.

Looks like the willows work for monster turkeys also :)

I love the bucks are still hitting the willow branches, that is really interesting. I find some fresh scrapes in spring and I think its usually around the time the amount of daylight is equal to the amount of daylight during peak scraping in the fall.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
That turkey does look pretty good. Usually the ones that hang out by themselves tend to be older, but get chased by the 2 and 3 year old groups of toms, so they wont come to decoys or a call most of the time. I am no better at calling turkeys than I am at calling coyotes, so when I am hunting with the kids, we just put out the old stuffed strut gobbler, but when I am by myself, usually i am just setup to bushwack with my bow, wherever the turkey I am after spends his morning or afternoon feeding and strutting.

These guys look pretty good too. Every morning they fly down to the field road behind my house, get some gravel and decide how to spend the day.
IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

Man, those are nice birds!

Agreed, hopefully you catch up to one during the season!

On the topic of the mock rub trees...I finally pulled mine last weekend, mainly so they weren't in the way of the mower. I will DEFINITELY put some back out in the early fall this year.

Those trees continued to draw activity until the day they were pulled. Deer instinctively it seemed nuzzled the branches, made scrapes underneath them, etc, for the whole time they were out there. Thanks again 6x6 for the tip on this, because it was a new one on me and a really good idea!!

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
The old trees were getting so much attention still, I put a couple new ones in last thursday, and they like them. One old tree had some new growth coming out at the bottom, so I just cut it off below the rub, instead of pulling it out. Typically the willows will lose the leaves that are on when putting them in, but with enough moisture in the ground often start new growth. You would think its october the way they rub their faces all over the branches and pee in the mock scrapes. [The last 2, the am/pm is off.]

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0691-1.jpg

i've enjoyed reading this thread and seeing the pics, so thanks for that! perhaps this was mentioned before, but when there are trees everywhere, what makes these artificial creations so desirable for deer?

i've enjoyed reading this thread and seeing the pics, so thanks for that! perhaps this was mentioned before, but when there are trees everywhere, what makes these artificial creations so desirable for deer?

I just started with this technique last year after reading about 6x6's experiences, so I am sort of a newbie myself. But I think a main part of the attraction is that you can place the tree out in the open, so it is quite visible and a real visual "target". I suspect if you placed the tree in the timber it wouldn't get much attention due to so many other options nearby.

But a "naked" tree in the middle of an open area is irresistable to them. The beauty is that you can place right where you want it for the sake of a trail cam or stand location, etc.

Good question. Location, location and useing the right kind of trees. My farm is 80 percent timber, but putting the willows in the foodplots, where they are allready spending time, they all scent mark and check them, whenever in the field, which positions them for great pics and helps to pattern the bucks throughout the season. They love the willows, I doubt if I dropped an oak in the ground it would get much attention and would dry up quick. Once they start useing the licking branches and scrapes, which deer do thoughout the year, it becomes a hub of activity in the foodplots.

We don't have too many, if any, willows around where i hunt. What other tree species have people had success with. I really want to give this a try this year but also want to get it right.

Would cedar work? They rub a lot of cedar around here.

Cedar should be attractive in a feeding area, or basswood is good. You want to use something with soft wood or strong smelling, like cedar and pine.

We don't have too many, if any, willows around where i hunt. What other tree species have people had success with. I really want to give this a try this year but also want to get it right.

Would cedar work? They rub a lot of cedar around here.

I didn't have willows to use last year either so I used two miscellaneous, trash trees. My selection criteria was: 1. Not an oak or walnut. 2. Several "right height" horizontal branches. 3. Relatively soft barked, which I gauged by scraping the bark a little with my knife.

I had good results with them all season long and for months after the season was closed. I suspect you may have even better results with a real slippery barked tree like a willow, but it is not a requirement in my experience. Also, the action on mine was more of the nuzzling/licking variety on the horizontal branches, not so much antler rubbing the trunk. Perhaps I would have seen more rubbing activity with a willow, or similar tree.

I also do not have sumacs at my farm, but I bet they would a good bet too. I don't think I have ever seen a sumac grove that wasn't torn up with rubs. If you used a cedar I would nip off the lower branches so you have some exposed trunk for them to work, but I suspect they would go for that pretty good.

I also had cams on these trees a lot of the time they were out, often in 10-20 second video mode. It was quite enteraining and educational to watch those. This tactic is quite impressive, thanks again to 6x6 for bringing it out here on IW! You know...I just may sink a cedar AND a hardwood species of some sort next to each other this year as a dual threat!

Top Bottom