Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Moisture

I hear ya.........I think a-lot of us planted about the same time. My rye that I planted last friday is about an inch high now, but the dirt on top is powder dry. I wish I would have checked how much moisture is still in the dirt underneath. Doesn't look like any real chance for rain for at least another weak.

If we don't get a shower in the next 4-5 days, I'm going to re-till the brassicas and plant oats/rye.... I'm afraid its getting way too late for the Bs....

I was actually looking at adding a little more N to my brassicas this weekend
but with no rain at all I will be holding off.

My rye, oats and peas are just sitting there.

Most of us got 6-12" of rain the week before planting fall grains so we have tons of subsoil moisture, but small seeds planted on top are not likely to germinate without some moisture to get them going.

The grains will send roots searching for moisture and will be fine but this is an example of why peas and grains are better off planted an inch or two deep and then the soil firmed with a cultipacker if at all possible.

The seeds will be in the moisture zone and then moisture preserved by firming the top with the cultipacker.

Think about a corn planter or drill and how they drop seeds at consistant depths and then firm the soil over the row via a packer wheel.

During times of plentiful rain we can get away with almost anything including tossing seeds out on top of the ground and the weather can change in a an instant...just as we are seeing now.....;)

Paul,
What's the germination time for AWP?

This time of year roughly a week, longer when soil temps are cool in the spring and of course if there is no moisture.

Planting depth is more critical for peas which should be 1 1/2 to 3" deep

How big is AWP seed? I have no experience with peas yet, but I didnt have any idea they had to be 1.5-3in deep. Wow that seems like a lot.

Kind of ironic,,Floods all summer,,,then we plant,,in Sept when fall rains supposed to start,,and Nothin. Atomosphere is stagnet,,weather systems actually moving backward. Strange weather indeed.

We just planted 3 two acre plots with rye, oats, and brassicas and an acre plot of turnips this past weekend.

We disced, seeded, dragged them in and cultipacked. I hope they come up. Rain would be nice. I don't think we got them very deep.

Luckily the brassicas went in with oats on 3 other three acre plots a month ago. They are getting pounded already. 20-30 deer in each plot every night.

How big is AWP seed? I have no experience with peas yet, but I didnt have any idea they had to be 1.5-3in deep. Wow that seems like a lot.

I have pics in the Field pea and Cereal Grain thread, and Field Peas and AWP's look basically the same except the FP's are a little speckled.

With enough rain the peas will sprout on top of the ground but then if it doesn't keep raining the roots can't reach moisture and the tiny pea plant will at suffer or at worst die.

No rain forecast here...at all! Typical September rainfall is 4.1" here in SE Iowa but I suspect we will fall far short of that this year...:rolleyes:

Sept rainfall may well be -0- for most of Iowa,,,if what I read comes true. The moisture party may be over,,I'm a fearin.

I have a question...

For those of us that have planted rye and then not had any rain on it. Could a person help their rye or wheat plantings by dousing them with a sprayer, minus any roundup, etc, of course?

I know this would not be a large amount of water like a good rain would be, but it might give the dry seed something to work with.

Daver,

I'm afraid that you might get it to germinate by spraying it in such fashion, only to dry up from lack of rain. Now if you wanted to "water" it is such fashion every couple of days.....

For those of us that have planted rye and then not had any rain on it. Could a person help their rye or wheat plantings by dousing them with a sprayer, minus any roundup, etc, of course?

I know this would not be a large amount of water like a good rain would be, but it might give the dry seed something to work with.

Maybe if you had a real small plot and a lot of time and patience to get it decently wet.

We were thinking the same thing. I'm just afraid a 40gal sprayer and at least 4 acres of plots would take some serious time.:thrwrck:

I guess we all will need to wait and see.
Hopefully the first frost will be in November.
Really is not what we all planned but what can we do?

We were thinking the same thing. I'm just afraid a 40gal sprayer and at least 4 acres of plots would take some serious time.:thrwrck:

Its going to take you awhile. I can't remember exactly, but 43,560 square foot (which is an acre) with 1/2 inch of water is around 31,000 gallons if I remember right.

Top Bottom