Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Money Waster

outdoor

I don't have a problem with grasses and food plots,but this is money down the drain. Yesterday during Ag class, my teacher said people put grasses on the self and people buy them. When do they go out in the self. A week before deer season. So people put the grass down and a week or two before deer season and they say " Will I'm going to put the grass down by me tree stand and I'll have the biggest bucks in Iowa come right by my tree stand." If you are going to put some grass down put it down during spring. Some may know this but the deer need the minarls then and not right before deer season. They need it now and not deer season because they are just staring to grow antlers. What I( mean by that is that it goes on sale a week before deer season Hope this helps!

20 Gauge,
Don't get miss informed and jump to conclusions when you hear one person's opinion.
Food plots can serve more than one purpose, they are not only for attracting deer, turkey and other wildlife they also serve as a nutritional supplement. Many of the people that plant food plots do not harvest say, the corn or beans. These crops are left in throughout the winter to feed the wildlife when they need it the worst. A buck that has been chasing does and eluding hunters for the past 3 months has a very low body fat percentage. Unfortunatly when the rut and hunting seasons are over the bad weather is just beginning to set in. These deer need all the food that they can get and food plots definatly help the deer survive these hard times. Many food plots are planted in the spring the same as row crops. The point that you were trying to make about planting in the spring to help antler development was some what valid. But you want that buck to be as healthy as possibly coming into the spring so that all his spring feeding isn't just making up for his winter loss. Food plots are also an excellant place to look for sheds. Deer on neighboring properties that have no standing crops are attracted to your plots and it's a good possibility that you may find some sheds from bucks that have traveled long distances to get the food in your plots.
As far as prices being marked up on certain grasses your probably right the grasses that are sold at your local elevator are very similar in some instances and quit a bit cheaper as well.
Not only are food plots good for the wildlife but it helps us outdoormen spend more time outdoors and tinkering with different crops and planting equipment. Hope this helps.

Todd

Top Bottom