Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Monster Buck Found???

G

This morining was terrible but nice. I didn't see any deer in my stand and had to leave early, but I found a buck that I will guess to score 165 -175, 11 pt. Had a very thick massive rack. I WAS WONDERING WHAT I NEED TO DO IN ORDER TO KEEP THIS RACK. I KNOW THE DNR CAN COME IN AND TAKE IT RIGHT AWAY. COULD SOMEONE HELP ME OUT AND LET ME KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO TO GET A SALVAGE TAG. I DON'T WANT TO DO THE WRONG THING AND LOSE THIS MONSTER. THANKS

I have been having terrible luck lately. I know big bucks are in my area but not seeing anything?? I think the doe population is done?? Does anyone else think this?/

It seems like to me that it was already lost. Perhaps it belongs to the woods now and should be left there.

I have been very active in the area u are describing. The DNR has a new policy regarding such thing. In short as long as there is no illegal activity provable it is supposed to now be finders keepers. Call me on my cell phone for more info 515-689-4491. The officers have just recently been directed to implement the new policy. In the past the handling of such cases varied widely depending on the officer involved.

call me so I can arrange to have it measured officially for u and let me know what area of the state u are in.

Contrary to what has been written there is no new policy in effect. Yes, one has been written up---but---as of yet it has not been signed.

This information was given to me this morning at our district meeting by my supervisor who had contacted Des Moines reference this post. Until it has been signed you cannot legally possess a found white-tailed deer rack.

Under the proposed policy if a rack is found you still cannot just pick it up or cut it off a deer's body. You are to contact your local DNR conservation officer who will investigate the situation. Then and only then will the officer decide the rack's disposition.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

Doug, I am in the military (Iowa Resident) and was wondering if I need a tag to bow/shotgun hunt this year. I was told in the past that as long as I was on official leave status I could shoot a deer and have the local game warden tag it for me. Just wanted to make sure this was still the case. Thanks.......

If you an Iowa resident and are active military you may hunt/fish in Iowa without a hunting license or the need to purchase a deer/turkey license. You will need to have your leave papers to verify you are on leave.

If you are stationed in Iowa or close enough that you come to the state to hunt on a day off you will need to purchase the required licenses like anyone else. Only when you're on leave does this apply.

Doug

Blind Sow may be technically correct. However, I participated in a meeting in the Capitol Building February 19, 2001. The topic of the meeting was this very subject. It was called by the Governors office to address this issue. In attendance besides myself were Larry Wilson Deputy director of the IDNR, Lowell Joslin, Head of the enforcement division of the IDNR, Randy Edwards No 2 in the enforcement division IDNR several legislators and staff representatives of the Governor.

After good discussion an agreement was reached regarding found dead deer. The short version is that found dead deer were to be investigated as to cause of death even in suspicious cases should be seized pending making a case if ANY illegal activity was provable. In the event no illegal activity is provable the antlers are to be the property of the person who found them.

I have a letter from Larry Wilson dated May 30, 2001 that says that is to be the departments policy. Copies of this letter are available to interested parties.

I believe the legislators will be extremely disappointed to learn that the policy has not yet been implemented. I was informed in September that the policy was to be finalized in a first of October staff meeting. It is now nearly December and Blind Sow informs us that it has not yet happened.

I also have a copy of a letter dated July 16, 1992 in which Allen Faris directs his officers to report antlers in field officers possession to their supervisors for inventory purposes.Copies of this letter are also available upon request This was in response to antlers collected in the line of duty being disposed of by certain officers. I do not believe that is happening anymore but I know of at least two cases of confiscated antlers last year not being included in reports to Des Moines.

Blind Sow does a great job providing information to Iowawhitetail.com I was not aware that the rule had not been IMPLEMENTED. I was told by very highly placed people in the department that it would be and it sems to me that this is way to long to procrastinate.I or legislators will find out why.

Top Bottom