Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Monster Dubuque Buck Post finding

hunt iowa

Life Member
It would seem that the IDNR is doing their job. Let us all hope that things turn out well for the deer.

It seems to be quite an interesting story. It is a Classic case of screwups by an apparently well intentioned hunter. I do hope that the shooter did nothing illegal. It is an interesting question whether moving after affixing an archery tag would constitute improper transportation. I think he needs a lawyer in any event.

I was directly involved in the NEW rule regarding found dead deer. The rule is a couple of years old all ready I think. The rule states: When a dead deer is found , you SHALL contact the local officer who SHALL determine if any illegal activity was involved in the deer's death. If no such activity can be proven the officer SHALL return it to either the finder or the landowner.

It only becomes an issue it seems when the rack is a big one. One of these things happened in Linn county a few years ago and when the finders called the local CO, the officer was too busy to come right out and in a last second question he asked "How big is it?". When he was informed that it was good sized he then did in fact have time to come to the site and did seize the rack after a rather heated confrontation.

It would seem that the rule should be followed no matter if it is a yearling or a monster like this Dubuque situation.

Hunters need to get versed on this issue and avoid a situation like the Dubuque thing is degenerating into. The deer deserved better.
If their is intentional wrongdoing provable more power to the officers. They should treat all cases the same though, and not differentiate by size.

I hope all of us read this carefully.....I can only guess how many uninformed hunters who came across a buck in the timber dead would probably run to get a saw and take those antlers off. It does seem funny (weird) though that this only becomes news to everyone involved if we are talking about a record class deer. But on the other hand it's to be expected. With shed hunting coming on strong in a few weeks a bunch of deer could be found with maybe the same results. It also sounds to me you could do everything right and still get the head taken and confiscated.
Bruce
madgo_ron.gif

I agree that the rule should be applied evenly regardless of the size of the rack.

I sort of laughed last year at the Deer Classic the DNR had their both on the top floor whith alll their seized trophies. While some obvioulsy found racks were being brought in downstairs. They should of had an officer checking every found rack brought in to ensure it was taged?

So everytime I find a rack that I want to keep when shed hunting, I have to call a game warden to come out and okay it. Heck he might as well come shed hunting with me.

I will call him on the cell phone and give him GPS coordinates every time I find one and we'll see how long this law lasts as it is presently written.

Sorry Bill, I think the intent of this rule was right, but the outcome of this one is going to get ugly.

Big racks will always get more attention than little ones.There was a real nice 10 pointer hit out here on the highway this year.The guy that hit it told my cousin anyone who wanted the rack could have it.She called me but by the time I got there the head was missing.The DNR took it and said they were gonna have it tested for CWD.I thought that was funny since theres dead deer down both sides of that road through a 15 mile stretch and this was the only one that theyd bothered to "test" since the crops came out.2 years before that it was a big non typical, a deputy sherriff got that rack.Theres also been several incidents where the guy/gal that hit the deer wanted to keep it.The DNR took the deer away from them and they never get em back, again only when a large bucks involved.
I often take roadkilled deer that arent beat up real bad.I always call the DNR officer in my county.The first thing he asks is if the deers a buck or doe and how big.If its a doe or small buck he tells me to take it, dont bother to come out or even send me the tag for it.I found a buck one day that had obviously been shot with a rifle.I called to get a tag and he didnt come, even after I told him the deer had been poached.It was a basket racked 6 pointer.I aint found a real big one dead yet but Im sure if I ever do the rack wont be in my possesion long, dont matter how many $$ worth of damage they do to your car, their the property of the state.

Those racks taken by the officers are the property of the citizens of the State of Iowa and not the officer. The same applies to evidence seized in poaching cases. They are REQUIRED to send them to their supervisor for PROPER inventory and disposal. They are not the property of the officer involved.

The officers are very busy and in all probability cannot respond to every case although they should.

The things you mentioned are part of the reasons for the "new" rule. There were officers that acquired racks on duty and then did sell them. That was a small number of officers and I did not think any of them would be foolish enough to do that anymore.

As is evident by the interest in Iowa whitetail forums, people watch these things and they incidents are known by somebody.

Hunt iowa, i still dont understand.How can they take a rack if its from a deer that you wrecked your car on?If you do nothing illegal, arent they supposed to give the deer to you if you want it regardless of if its a doe, buck, or a monster buck?

Minnesota is currently considering enacting a law that would make it illegal to take the antlers from a found dead buck, this is whether its found in the bush or killed by a car. I've found them in the past and I'm sure I'll find some more. I've taken a few racks from car kills found in the ditches, and I suppose I'll do it again when given the chance, even though this is illegal to do in our state. My expirience with Iowa. When I lived in Austin, MN I became good friends with a tremendous taxidermist out of Freeborn, MN. One day while visiting I noticed he had a pile of new racks on the floor, including some pretty good ones. Now get this. A game warden from northern Iowa had just retired and had decided to have some of the "confiscated" antlers board mounted. One of them was a tremendous nontypical that grossed over 212 and netted 204, 4x4 frame was over 170 net and it had matching droptines of about 12 inches, just a stupendous set of antlers. Yes, this retired game warden had some pretty good ones in the pile. Funny thing is this, when he was offered a chunk of money for the big nontypical he never hesitated to sell. Iowa never new the difference. A guy from Albert Lea bought the rack. I know a highway patrolman from northwestern MN that has a house full of big racks including some real gagger boone racks. When I asked our DNR about the new upcoming law the answer was "that is considered property of the state and knowone should be making money off property of the state." Well, I guess they havn't yet informed our game wardens and highway patrolmen. About 6 years ago a person in SE MN was seen shooting a great typical buck from the road. Long story short, he was nabbed and the antlers confiscated from his possession by the local game warden. I have seen pictures of the deer, given to me by the poacher, and this deer is all of 190's net typical.., its a great buck. But when I asked the game warden about it he says he doesn't know anything about it. I'd sure like to see his basement, however, he's never invited me in for cake. Go figure. Do some state employee's figure they're above the states laws? Seems so.

dc240nt<

The warden you mentioned in ypur reply is one of tghe officers I referenced about improper disposition of assets of the citizens of Iowa. He has since retired and the deer was entered into Boone & Crockett so there is at least a record of what the state has produced. There are other cases and it seems that some are still going on.

Good to hear that Iowa at least got credit for the deer. The last I heard of the rack it hadn't been entered as of then. Glad to hear it. Now.., if we could just come up with some of those MN bucks.

I confess to know nothing about the deer except what can be read hear. However, I just received a picture of the rack mounted on a fresh shoulder mount. The pic was certainly not taken within a DNR office building. There seems to be several conflicting stories surrounding this deer as to where its at or who has possession. By the way, it looks pretty good when mounted.

This is what I have learned as of a few minutes ago.

An official P&Y / B&C scorer who has just scored my 2002 archery buck envited me to view the 2001 and 2002 sheds from the buck in question. The rack (as found/recovered) in December was also @ his house but is now in the possession of the DNR. (I doubt it has been mounted) I did not ask if either set of the sheds were mounted.
I was asked to let my rack in the scorer's possession until Friday or Saturday (24th-25th)
I was told I could bring digital camera and take photo's as desired. An archery buck (with no legal baggage) in the 190 gr 180 net will also be there. I'll email the photo's to Tony or attempt to post them. Also report my findings as to the suspected future and suspicious past of the big boy.
This same person scored the sheds last year @ 252 and this year @ 240.
P.S. I came in @ 174 4/8 net TOOT TOOT!!!

scout...excellent buck!! Man I wish I could just see one that big in the wild. Are you taking it to the Classic in March?

I'm guessing the Dubuque buck won't be there or will it the DNR have it in their booth?

I'm tempted to join the IBA so I can see The Nuge @ the banquet. I'll have to think seriously about mounting mine in time for the Expo.
Who knows what the DNR will do with the rack. Showing it off as a poach sends a loud message, but without the full story it will be misleading. I'd hate to be the DNR employee that sits in the booth and retells that story over and over....and over.....
frown.gif

dc240nt, you mentioned you had recieved a picture of this magnificent buck, shoulder mounted... If it were at all possible, could/would you post this photo for others to enjoy?

Top Bottom