Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Montana trip

FinBonZ

Life Member
Went out to western Montana for a week of trout fishing and camping. Both times we have went out, we pass up fishing the more crowded blue ribbon streams (Madison/ Gallatin) and head for smaller streams (lots of trout/ no people). The first day we fished one stream for about 4 hours and kept 29 trout between 3 of us. All were brooke trout and we tried to only keep them if they were around 12" or longer. Sort of a shame to have them laying on a truck bed all discolored and dirty for the photo. It's about like duck hunting for me in that I want to almost take a picture of every duck because they look so cool. Even when we were catching 20+ trout I rarely took the time to take a quick picture but they were all extremely colorful. I didn't get any pics, but my buddy caught 2 greylings in what I think is the only stream that still has a native population in Montana.

DSCN0523.jpg

That afternoon we headed to a mountain lake where we fished a little in the evening after we ate like kings for supper. Got a chance sighting of a wild moose too. The moose numbers have really taken a hit in that area over the last few years from the wolf population. The week we were out there the state had just announced that the amount of wolf tags had just been increased from last year's quota (of which very few tags had been filled).

DSCN0543.jpg

DSCN0551.jpg

DSCN0555.jpg

Fresh fried trout, beans out of the can, and a bunch of cold beer!! Like kings I say! Well maybe not, but it was awfully good!

DSCN0545.jpg

After coming down out of the mountains, we did a quick soak in a natural hot springs (106 degrees), visited the Big Hole Battlefield, toured around to see some wildlife (mule deer, sandhill crane, antelope, whitetail, elk, magpies, yellow headed blackbirds), and also did a walk through at a ghost town (Bannack). This was the original capital of the territory forming in the 1860's and only having a few years of growth. A lot of wild stories of hangings, street shootings, and close calls with indians. Below is a picture of the first school house in the territory. Was built and paid for by the Mason's who made a separate entrance for the upstairs where they held meetings. The town was closed off years ago by the state to leave it as an intact example of a gold driven town that went bust.
DSCN0560.jpg

DSCN0561.jpg

A quick picture of a fresh catch.

DSCN0517.jpg

That's a trip that I would sure like to take too. Beautiful scenery and great fishing! Thanks for posting. :way:

Looks like an awesome trip!! Pictures are perfect! The old ghost towns and farmsteadts are pretty cool to see.
Thanks for posting!

Awesome pics, Steve! Fly fishing or spin fishing? Brooke trout are high on my list of fly fishing catches!

We were all using spin casts with Panther Martins or Mepps spinners. The streams we fished were fairly wide open and would have been perfect to try fly fishing, especially for a beginner like me.

They were hooked. I never measured it but it was the largest we caught. It definitely looks like a pig compared to the others that were respectable too. Should have taken some measurements and had a repo put together.

Nothing like those Brookies, I'm with you...let the others crowd each other chasing bows and browns. I'll take native cutthroats and greenback brook trout any day of the week. What streams did you hit? You can PM if you'd like. Amazing pics!

Big sky

I lived in Missoula for a year back in the 70's didn't work one day just hunted and fished , went up by Sealey lake alot and fished some mountain walk in lake's cut throat every where, a lake we fished 4 miles off the road was really cool buddy carried a 12 guage we always kidded him about the BIG gun but while bow hunting one day i came across 3 sets of bear tracks 2 small ones and one set i could put both size 11 boots in turned right around went to town and bought my own BIG gun 44 Mag, never seen a bear but felt better, my wife to be went back to Missoula and got married by the Justice of the peace and had my friend's (2 drunk indians) stand up for us then spent the next 30 days camping out in the mountains in the back of the old 73 chevy pick-up with a 36" topper those were the good ole days, loved the country but not the cold and snow.

Top Bottom