Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Montec G5 Broadheads

Scott

Just wondering if anyone has ever used Montec G5 broadheads? They are a one piece cut on contact broadhead. I shot some the other day and they fly great. Im just a little curious as to how they will hold up when they hit a deer.

I don't think these blades are going to come apart on anything other than a brick wall. I've looked at them myself, and the only question I had was how they would fly. Seems like you settled that question though. I'll be picking up a couple packs of those or the B-52's, haven't decided on which one.
CRITRGITR

we discussed these braodheads on a 6-29-03 post by Muddy, you may want to check it out. I will tell you that they fly awesome, and am definitly using them this fall.I just bought 3 packs from Cabelas if that tells you anything like how I feel about the performance. I killed one doe last fall with one and a buddy of mine shot several does and a great buck with them last fall and they are all in perfect shape still, just needed resharpening.

Here is the link to the previous post
http://www.iowawhitetail.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB3&Number=27525&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I just bought the Montec 125 "Practice Heads" and they do fly like field points!! I've shot 125 Thunderheads for about ten years but when I saw these daddies I had to try them. I'm looking forward to having the opportunity to try them on Elk this year. I live in Colorado and have bowhunted for Elk about 23 years. I've really gotten into hunting whitetails in the last five so I look forward to chatin with you folks who really know your stuff about these guys.
Cruzer

Welcome aboard Cruzer. I hope with the difference in terrain from CO to the midwest we can help you out, just as long as we can ask you elk questions. Once again, welcome to the whitetail information site...

Welcome Cruzer1. I got the practice heads to. Ive never seen a fixed blade fly that good without tuning it. I just put a teflon washer on them and tightened it down. Let me know if you need some help hunting deer and elk in Colorado. Thanks for everyones input.

Welcome Cruzer
waytogo.gif
Hope you enjoy the site. Plenty of info here about Whitetail hunting.
grin.gif

Scott, I didn't think you needed a washer behind the head. Have you heard otherwise or is this a preference of yours?
Cruzer

The Montec's look great plus how can you go wrong with a one piece BH. I have received quite a bit of feedback on them and the one point that stand out from all the rest is (of course negative) they are extremely dull out of the pack and takes a lot of honing to get them sharp enough to hunt with.
Now, some peoples idea of sharp is different from others. But, I know my idea of sharp is razor thin, shave the hair off my arm sharp.

Well, I sharpened my Montec last night and they feel pretty sharp. I went to G-5 website to see if they had any consumer info on this subject.
This is what they had to say:
Why doesn't the Montec blades feel as sharp as a knife or razorblade?

First, of all the Montec isn’t a knife or a razorblade. It is a broadhead and broadheads are very different than razorblades or knives, thus, which is why it doesn’t feel like a knife or razorblade cutting edge.

So are the Montec blades not as sharp as a knife or razorblade?

Actually, no they are, yet we feel that our blades are more lethal than those similar to razorblades and knives. Though knives and razorblades shave hair very well, they are very fragile, which is why a surgeon doesn’t use his scalpel to split bone. That’s why we enlarged our cutting edges from 20 to 30 degrees, which is common in razorblades or knives, to 60 degrees. Since the majority of the time the broadhead will have to penetrate through bone before it can actually start cutting, or severing, flesh and veins, a weak thin razorblade-type blade would only hinder the effectiveness of the blades.

So don’t be misled by the feel of sharpness, the Montec is very sharp and will bring that trophy animal down in a hurry.

FYI for you all
rockband.gif

Yeah! What he said. There you have it. Another positive point on the Montecs is the fact they have a much shorter blade length as compared to others on the market. You're seeing many other manufacturers going to a shorter blade length on at least one or two of their broadhead models simply because of the fact, less surface equals less planing down range. They tend fly better then a longer blade style will.

But....and you knew there was going to be a but. I've used NAP's Thunderhead and Shockwave broadheads for years and have had nothing bad to say about them. I get them razor sharp and have passed through every deer I've ever shot with them.
shrug[1].gif

TimberGhost, I totally agree with you about NAP TH's. I've shot them for about 10 years and had good luck except, when I was hog hunting this year, I shot about a 200# boar and hit behind the shoulder, so I assumed all ribs if any and the head had two totally cracked/chiped blades. Also, on a cow elk last year my buddy stuck one in the shoulder at about 25 yards with NAP TH' 125's and the thing went in to the insert and stopped the cow broke it off on a tree we found 99% of the arrow. So, I thought I would try a one piece design and with a nail driver look. I think the Montec will be good if you make a bad shot on a shoulder. When hunting in black timber you can get some weird stuff like small branches that will make a good shot a bad shot as you well know. I think for deer TH's are a great head. Also, I like to antelope hunt so I agree with your down range logic about the G-5's

Top Bottom