Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Moon and the RUT:

loneranger

This current issue of D and D hunting says the rut will really get going somewhat later this yr,,around the 15th of Oct. This theory revolves around the idea of the second full moon after the Autumn Equinox. I have heard moon influence on deer tossed back and forth. some think it has an effect,,some think it is nonsense. I assume the rut will be about when it always is.

Heat,cold,moon. I seems like none of these really matter. They still start rutting on the same time every year in my area. The thing i have noticed is the weather and moon can make a difference of when the bucks are moving!

Oct? I have found their predictions to be pretty close each year for the last 5 years.The weather can throw it off a lot if it gets to warm.

I have followed this very close starting in 1999. I personally have found it to be very accurate. I will however tell you that alot of factors can make small to very large changes in the deer behavior along with this whole theory. Weather is probably the most pronounced. If you get a warm day or week in there, deer movement will slow and sometimes almost seem to halt. I found that when the rut falls right in a major hunting season, like it often does in SE Minnesota, BOOM, rutting activity slows a major amount. Other things like cold weather earlier in October won't start the rut, but will bring bucks to their feet and seem to spike their curiosity. So yeah, there may be something to it, but lots of things can make it hard to understand unless you are really out and hunting every day from pre-rut to post-rut. Fortunatly, I have had this opportunity for the last several years in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

Oh yeah, 15th OCT seems a little early. Should be more like 15th NOV. Maybe they Typo'd.

Sorry,, not the 15th of Oct,, the Mag said this year the 15th of NOV.Seems to me they start searching for does from last few days of Oct right thru the first 10 of NOV, by 15th maybe holding up with some does already.

As much as I'd like to say I agree with D&DH's predictions, I can't. It says that this year's rut should be similar to 2005's. They say the peak will fall around November 15th. I have kept detailed logs from 2005 onward of every sit, what I have seen and the temp/time etc. Bucks were running does pretty heavy on Oct 26th in 2005 in my area. The peak of chasing was November 7th. Think I saw something like 7-8 bucks that day (areas 50+ miles from eachother- 2 different sits).

Also, I've found that the pre rut/rut is highly localized. Things are ready to go at my place and 5 miles up the road at my brother's place it feels like the lock down. I'm guessing it has to do with when that first does comes into estrous. Year after year I am in the woods from about October 25th-November 7th and it hasn't let me down yet.

I agree,,it seems to me that the first week of Nov is best. Last yr I got out first week of Nov and saw buck activity,,the second week it slowed way down. Thot I probably shoud have gotten out a bit earlier like the last week of Oct too. I do think activity sometimes is affected by local conditions .

Last year the buck movement didn't start until around the 9th of nov I take the first to weeks off of nov and always see rut activity around the 5 th of nov but last year was different

Top Bottom