Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Moon - Deer Hunting

Ghost

Life Member
I never paid much attention to the moon while hunting and just went every chance I had to go.

You always hear the Drury's talk about hunting the rising moon.

There are all kinds of theories about hunting the moon.

2005 Moon Phases

New Moon - October 3rd and November 2nd

1st Quarter - October 10th and November 9th

Full Moon - October 17th and November 16th

Last Quarter - October 25th and November 23rd

I'm just curious to hear about any of your observations and how you feel the moon phases effect deer movement and the rut.
grin.gif

Havent we had this discussion/arguement before Ghost?
grin.gif

As for Drurys, they just like to hear themselves talk.

Yes we have Fred.....

There may be a few members that haven't been around the site for
three years and may have something new to share that I haven't heard before.
shocked.gif

I don't pay to much attention to the moon. But, I will say I've noticed that a clear bell night with a near or full moon usually means poor morning activity in the places I hunt.

Back when I first started elk hunting in CO we got to know some of the locals that were hunting the same area as we were. They were a fairly salty group, not just weekend hunters. They told us they based their hunting times around the moon phases as much as they could, not because of some weird type of gravitational influence it had on the elk, but merely because of the available moonlight it offered at certain times. They mostly preferred not having a moon at all in hopes that the elk would feed in the early mornings when there was available light as opposed to the elk feeding throughout the evening under a full moon. It's a pretty simple concept, but I don't know if it really holds any water. If I had to guess I'd have to say a deer can see well enough in no light conditions to not be influenced by the amount of light the moon reflects. As far as the moon having another type of influence on animals, I'd say it's probably very possible. If the moon can affect the tides of the ocean, why not everything else?

You guys have perhaps already beat this topic to death many moons ago. I purchased Jeff Murrays moon dials (which help predict deer movement based on the position overhead/underfoot of the moon) serveral years ago. Don't buy any more. One thing I believe is if during a Full Moon, sleep in and hunt midday (10-2). I did this once and saw 12 deer come past my stand. Moon theory holds some salt, but other variables trump it (wind, weather) in my opinion.

OZ

I just hunt as often as I can, don't pay any attention to that moon, not unless it is a big beauty worth staring at!
grin.gif

I will have to agree with you on the full moon observation. Sleep in and hunt mid day much harder. Early am just doesn't seem to produce.

Top Bottom