Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Moose in Iowa

Can someone please post the Iowa code that says a moose is a protected species?

Otherwise I'll be inclined to believe you are all talking out your arse.

ngx4yt.jpg

IA DNR Regs enough for ya?

code

owa Code 481A.42 - Nongame protected - exclusion.
Protected nongame species include wild fish, wild birds, wild bats, wild reptiles, and wild amphibians, an egg, a nest, a dead body or part of a dead body, and a product made from part of a body of a wild fish, wild bird, wild bat, wild reptile, or wild amphibian. However, nongame does not include game, fish that may be taken pursuant to regulations established under the Code or departmental rule, fur-bearing animals, turtles, or frogs, as defined in this chapter. The commission shall designate by rule those species of nongame which by their abundance or habits are declared a nuisance, and these species shall not be protected. Rules adopted shall include, but are not limited to, a provision that states that any bat, except for the Indiana bat, which is found within a building that is occupied by human beings is not a protected nongame species.

Well, I'm a stickler for details so...according to the regs posted, anyone in possession of anything on that list is subject to a fine. That includes deer, turkey, fox, mink, the list goes on. That list is for game taken unlawfully.
Iowa code 481A.42 does not mention moose, or any other non-Iowa native big game species.

At present I don't think there is an Iowa law against shooting moose. If there is, I haven't seen it stated yet.

Well, I'm a stickler for details so...according to the regs posted, anyone in possession of anything on that list is subject to a fine. That includes deer, turkey, fox, mink, the list goes on. That list is for game taken unlawfully.
Iowa code 481A.42 does not mention moose, or any other non-Iowa native big game species.

At present I don't think there is an Iowa law against shooting moose. If there is, I haven't seen it stated yet.

481A.42 is for non-game species. It does not apply to a moose.

They are an endangered or threatened species... Page 18.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/huntingregs.pdf

571 IAC chapter 77.2 doesn't list moose as endangered or threatened. Nor does the moose show up on the list of federally protected animals found in Iowa.

Anyone else find anything?

Still gonna say its not illegal

Here is an article where a DNR officer states it's illegal.

And here is a post by a DNR representative to a Facebook post about the moose last fall.
"Iowa Department of Natural Resources They are classified/defined under game in the definitions and there is no season on moose or elk. There is not a sustainable population for either in Iowa that would withstand a harvest, so the Iowa legislature chose to protect them."

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...a.10150123562917111.287156.35001767110&type=1

Iowa code states "A person convicted of taking a deer, antelope, moose, buffalo, or elk with a prohibited weapon as defined by rules of the department, is subject to a fine of one hundred dollars for each offense committed while taking the animal with the prohibited weapon."

No season, thus no legal method of take, therefore the fine.

Honestly I'm surprised he hasn't been hit by a car yet. Being as tall as they are and their color. If someone shoots it they are a moron.

Here is an article where a DNR officer states it's illegal.

And here is a post by a DNR representative to a Facebook post about the moose last fall.
"Iowa Department of Natural Resources They are classified/defined under game in the definitions and there is no season on moose or elk. There is not a sustainable population for either in Iowa that would withstand a harvest, so the Iowa legislature chose to protect them."

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...a.10150123562917111.287156.35001767110&type=1

Iowa code states "A person convicted of taking a deer, antelope, moose, buffalo, or elk with a prohibited weapon as defined by rules of the department, is subject to a fine of one hundred dollars for each offense committed while taking the animal with the prohibited weapon."

No season, thus no legal method of take, therefore the fine.

Winner.........

Top Bottom