Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

More active hunting tactics.

Any of you started rattling, grunting, or using scents yet? I usually just sit quiet until about October 25th. I'll probably start doing some light rattling this weekend. Break the decoy and scents out within the next two weeks.

I hunted Saturday evening and not only did not make a sound, I had loaned my grunt call to my son and purposely left my rattling antlers in the cabin. While I would not rule out a light grunt or two now, I certainly would not be very aggressive with my calling.

FWIW, I witnessed a nice 4 year old that had a beefy 2 year old approach him and they both postured and stood their hairs on end and circled each other a time or two and then relaxed and munched on radishes for the next 15-20 minutes, all while 5-10 yards apart. So it didn't seem like the bucks were ready to rumble just yet either.

I typically take most of my calling gear with me on every hunt (unless forgotten), but then don't usually use it until the last 5-10 days of October (guessing here), unless I've spotted a deer I want to try to bring closer. Even then, I try to go sparingly and lightly, so as not to educate them early. I wait until closer to the rut (typically into November) to do any blind calling, unless I've witnessed some activity (fighting, grunting, etc). I would say I've probably backed off on the amount of calling, especially blind rattling, I do the past couple of years. I typically won't try that much on deer that I have no intention of shooting, unless I just want to test the water a little.

I hardly ever rattle because I've never had results in the high pressure spots I hunt. However, last Friday the 16th I heard two bucks at war in the timber. I listened to them all out brawl for a good minute straight. Unfortunately the winner ran off the loser the other direction. I've never witnessed this so it was a pretty cool hunt and reminder that anytime it can get hot.

I was always told that rattling don't work in the early days of October..... I have to disagree with this theory. I shot my biggest buck on Oct 6th rattling.

I have never rattled but I always hunt early muzzle loader. Bucks on the place I am hunting are still running together so I think it would do more harm than good

I was always told that rattling don't work in the early days of October..... I have to disagree with this theory. I shot my biggest buck on Oct 6th rattling.

I rattled one in opening night years back, bittersweet being done before you start. Always carry calls just in case. Like a midday blind rattle. Also killed a good one rattling just as it was legal to shoot late November once. I think the key is to start light and soft, then give it a few to see what happens in case one is close

I watched a knock down drag out fight Saturday night and heard 3 or 4 different deer grunting. You just never know when things could happen. I typically don't bring the decoy and rattling antlers out until Halloween though.

I've never rattled any other way, killed every buck on my wall with the exception of 2 after blind rattling them in

You must hunt aggressive deer!

I usually rattle during all day sits. I do it blind just to bring some excitement and anticipation to a very long sit.

I agree that this does break up the sit. I have blind rattled in the past, and probably will a few times each season going forward. But I think in my first couple of years, I may have tended to do it too often. When I do, I try to do 3 sequences over about 15 - 20 minutes, with each around 1 - 2 minutes each, and then waiting several minutes between each. First is light, then get louder/harder in the following sequences. I've only been able to rattle in probably 3.5 yr old bucks and younger tho.

I will say there is something cool about the sound of antlers cracking together early in the morning (or anytime). I've witnessed a few bucks tickling antlers while hunting and one actual fight not while hunting.

rattling is hit or miss just like every tactic in hunting sometimes it is awesome sometimes it don't do any good cant have the awesome if dont try though!

You must hunt aggressive deer! I agree that this does break up the sit. I have blind rattled in the past, and probably will a few times each season going forward. But I think in my first couple of years, I may have tended to do it too often. When I do, I try to do 3 sequences over about 15 - 20 minutes, with each around 1 - 2 minutes each, and then waiting several minutes between each. First is light, then get louder/harder in the following sequences. I've only been able to rattle in probably 3.5 yr old bucks and younger tho. I will say there is something cool about the sound of antlers cracking together early in the morning (or anytime). I've witnessed a few bucks tickling antlers while hunting and one actual fight not while hunting.

3 seasons in Iowa and I've not made it past Nov 1 yet, saw 37 bucks in 3.5 days last year. I set and hunt my stands based on rattling

9 out of 10 successful "calling hunts" (rattling or grunting) - I saw the deer 1st. Watched his attitude & aggressiveness & called based on that. I have had SOME success blind rattling, for whatever reason, like I said, 1 out of 10 called in a I got were from blind. Usually blind rattling (I don't know the logic why???) brings in 2-3 year olds for me. I would put myself on the "light" or "conservative" side of rattling & grunting. I don't do it a ton. But, when I need to pull one in that I see, man, time after time, it sure works a good amount of the time. Got my buck this year with help of a super light grunt on Oct 1. Favorite times to call though are late Oct.... Searching phase in November and then later November when they again are searching for late does.

I hink calling of any game is dependent on amount of hunt pressure, and calling tactics that animals have been exposed to. I had an outfitter friend in WY. who took out Elk Hunters on public Forest, He rarely bothered with calling. Said public land Elk had heard it all and would seldom respond. Yet you watch some of these Elk hunt shows,,and they call in numerous bulls right up to standing bow hunters! This tells me they are hunting on private Ranches with controlled pressure,,or some remote area that has uneducated animals. The same can be said for deer..

That's pretty cool! Good work. I could probably use some training on rattling correctly.
I came to Iowa from SE Ohio and it's all big timber so waiting to see a back to rattle would be worthless. I started doing it there and had great success and it has carried over into Iowa where I hunt timber. Never hunted a food source or plot before. One secret I will share is that I never have had success rattling a buck down hill but always up hill if you know what I mean. I always pick my stand based on the wind being in the deers favor in the direction I want them to come from. They will circle downwind and I want that to be where my best shots are.

Waiting for a deer to come into your shot area with the wind blowing twards the approach? Down Wind? That could be tricky. Or am I missing something?

Top Bottom