Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

More active hunting tactics.

Waiting for a deer to come into your shot area with the wind blowing twards the approach? Down Wind? That could be tricky. Or am I missing something?
if I have a North facing stand looking into the timber, l like to hunt that with a South wind

I guess I've been doing this wrong the whole time. I do everything under the sun to make sure that deer cannot or will not get downwind of me.

I love it when deer come from down wind, unless you gas up your truck before you hunt or smoke, I always use sent's for down wind deer and have yet had a bad experience yet. I hate to say it but worrying about deer down wind is an old wise tell In this day and age of hunting. With the products we gave available you can hunt your favorite stand as in the past we waited for the perfect day. Good luck to all this season.

I guess I've been doing this wrong the whole time. I do everything under the sun to make sure that deer cannot or will not get downwind of me.
if you are calling the will get down wind 9 times out of 10 if mature so trying to stop that means they may not come in. Mature deer will more likely come in if they can get down wind first, they are more comfortable that way

I don't care what you spry on or wash in. I do not intentionally want deer to approach me with the breeze blowing from me to them. I am not up high though. Height definitely makes a difference.

even if not calling, mature bucks like to walk into the wind. It's just like in the mornings they like walking on the ridge tops do to scent rising and in the evening they hit the bottoms because it's falling....easiest way to find a doe with efficiency

I guess I will never grasp this concept of having deer come in down wind. That goes against everything I've been doing my whole hunting career. So in theory when you folks are hunting a North wind, you are expecting the deer to come from the south.... Maybe I'm missing something here

Growing up I always heard that deer will put their nose in the wind and go, but we were only shotgun hunting and this was stated regarding deer being pushed. I always wondered if deer would actually move in their everyday movements with the same approach, but I'm not sure if they always move into or at least crosswind. I've usually tried to hunt where they would be upwind or at least crosswind to me.

I guess I will never grasp this concept of having deer come in down wind. That goes against everything I've been doing my whole hunting career. So in theory when you folks are hunting a North wind, you are expecting the deer to come from the south.... Maybe I'm missing something here

I'm with ya on that. I will keep the wind at my advantage...not the deer's. I have certain stands that are set up better to call out of. They have a pond or creek or deep ditch that will hopefully discourage a buck from crossing to get down wind of me when I call.

I've rattled in by two biggest bow deer, Nov 1st and Nov 3rd. Earliest I've rattled in a shooter was Oct 25th. I've had great success rattling and have had many days where I've rattled in 10+ different bucks, the most being 16 bucks by lunchtime in early Nov of 2006. Many were 1.5-3.5 yr olds but I occasionally rattle in mature deer, often after I see them at a distance. My best rattling spots are way back in big private timber on saddles, I doubt I'd have that kind of luck on smaller parcels or public ground.

I'm with ya on that. I will keep the wind at my advantage...not the deer's. I have certain stands that are set up better to call out of. They have a pond or creek or deep ditch that will hopefully discourage a buck from crossing to get down wind of me when I call.

Bucks live and die by there nose and next time you rattle I bet he'll come in down wind. They use the wind to survive and to efficiently check for does. I have certain bucks on camera that you can tell the wind direction from which way the approached. They will lay with the wind to there back so what they can't see, they can small. Hunting thermals is a smart way to hunt as well

Bucks live and die by there nose and next time you rattle I bet he'll come in down wind. They use the wind to survive and to efficiently check for does. I have certain bucks on camera that you can tell the wind direction from which way the approached. They will lay with the wind to there back so what they can't see, they can small. Hunting thermals is a smart way to hunt as well

I do have to agree with this statement as well. I was told early on that deer would lay on the downwind side of a ridge so they could watch below/downwind and smell what was above/behind/upwind. When spot and stalking (mostly shotgun), I like to walk the downwind side of ridges and hope I spot them laying before they hear/see me.

I think a lot of hunters know a buck will circle downwind of calling or a decoy, but they try to limit his access downwind of themselves, making him have to come in just upwind of their stand, but as downwind of what he's trying to checkout as possible. I suppose if he pinpoints a call right at the upwind edge of an obstacle, and knows it was not upwind of there (say 30 yards), he might hesitate to commit.

Rattled my second bow buck in to 12 yards. Directly down wind and I was sitting on a bucket behind some limbs I cut. A lot of people claim you can't kill a big buck without being above it either and I hunt on the ground more then I do a stand

If you downwind killers are constantly killing older age class bucks then you guys need to get together, Your literally sitting on millions of dollars. I don't care if your spraying your scent locker blocker suit down with 13 different sprays and 9 carbon products while running a dozen ozonics machines and blowing nose jammer through an irrigation system... deer will smell you if they get down wind of you. Especially if your calling and they are expecting to smell a doe or buck and all they smell is some fella in a tree.
Yeah you may kill a few younger age class deer that pull a tight circle and come in close to the downwind side of the tree " where your height is what is masking your scent"
If your hanging sets and expecting deer to approach from the downwind side then you are more than likely spooking/ not seeing 75% of the deer that smell you from a greater distance than you could possibly see them.

Always that one guy that is right about everything isn't there? Wonder how anyone ever hunts the rut when deer run literally everywhere. Up wind down wind no wind

I'm not claiming I set up specifically to have deer come in down wind. I'm just saying that I have and I'm sure many more have been able to connect on a deer down wind.

Top Bottom