Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

MORE BAD NEWS FOR ARCHERS IN KANSAS

Split_G3
i just read this article on bowhuntingohio.com. this s**t has got to stop, so please kansas archers and hunters alike speak up.

Bills could restrict bowhunters to limited units

BY MICHAEL PEARCE

The Wichita Eagle

TOPEKA - While the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks commission approvedregulations last week thatwould begin unit-by-unit bowhunting for deer, two billsin the legislature could negate the rules.

In 2004, legislature mandated specific unit permits for non-resident deer hunting. The aim was to better disperse hunters for outfitters.

But federal law says residents must follow the same rule. Resident archery permits have been good statewide for 40 seasons.

Most bowhunters say being restricted to one or two units would impede their access to hunting spots, and lower their success rate.

Commissioner Frank Meyer,an opponent of permits for specific units, urged hunters at the meeting to contact their legislators.

"Use the system," Meyer said of contacting legislators to rescind the 2004 action. "I think if enough people get involved, they can make a change."

Chris Tymeson, a KDWP lawyer, said any legislative changes must be completedby the April 21 commission meeting, where deer regulations will be finalized, to prevent unit restrictions this fall.

Also at Thursday's meeting, Wildlife and Parks biologists were told to exclude the 12days of firearms deer seasonand special eight-day January whitetail antlerless deer season from the 2005-06 fall turkeyseason. The agency hadrequested the season run Oct. 1-Jan. 31.

Exact dates won't be approved until a later meeting.

Sounds kinda like Iowa treats me, and I own my own land.
smirk.gif

This makes me sick..... I have several friends that currently hunt in different units and this will make them have to pick a unit and only hunt there..... This sport is getting so commercial it makes me sick...

I'm curious what Federal Law mandates that residents follow the same rules as NR's? Anyone shed some light on this?

For those curious, it also looks like a 100$ increase in NR anysex tags as well.

I attended the Kansas Bowhunter Ass. meeting sat. evening and they discussed the above topics which they are totally against.The sad part is that these laws were passed by our legislators with out approval of wildlife and parks.KDWP voted against it. The archery units were brought forward by very large outfitter. I'm not going to mention their name. They got it passed. We are paying are bioligist good money to manage our deer herd but or legislators are having the final say. Whats wrong with this? We need to let KDWP do their jobs!
mad.gif

The legislature creates the laws and the state agencies are responsible for implementing those laws. If you local legislative official does something bad hold them accountable.

As far as the proposal goes, from my standpoint, I actually like to idea of bow zones. It would likely increase my chance of getting a license on a more frequent basis, but whatever happens I really dont care either way.

When the politicians develop legistlation they should be working with the state agencies as well as the public so they create legislation that is biologically and socially acceptable.

Yeah i actually don't mind the idea of zones for NR's either, seeing i hunt a zone that is not one of the most popular ones(its also not stuffed full of outfitters). However, i think it is absolutely ridiculous to make a resident of the state be restricted to a certain zone. Heads should be chopped over that one!!!!!!!!
maniac.gif
icon_chain.gif

Top Bottom