Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

More M80 troubles.....

dedgeez

death from above
I didn't want to hijack BowDudes thread so I'll put this here. To all of you M80 users. Without setting your cams on video mode, how can I get them to stop taking such $hitty night pics. I pulled cards last week and almost all of the M80 night images are blurry. What torks me is all of my cheap ass D55 cams are working flawlessly, but I had to drink the cool aid and buy another mini cam :thrwrck: I took a bushnell back 2 years ago for doing this same thing, but I thought maybe Moultrie had fixed the moving deer = blurry pic problem. Here is a comparison of pics between the D55 and the M80. I tried to pick images that are about the same distance away from the cam and moving. Weird thing is, daylight pics are awesome regardless of movement. Any help, suggestions? I have other IR cams that don't take blurry pics, so I'm not sold on it being the IR vs. Flash.

M80

picture.php

D55

picture.php

When did you get your M80? There is supposed to be some software upgarde for the older models. I have one and just bought another and the night pics that I are pretty clear for the most part unless the deer is really moving quickly.

Dedgeez, is your D55 an IR or the old one with regular flash? I find the D55 has a much slower trigger speed than the M80 and the battery life is not nearly as good. Your thougts?

I have some of the same issues with night pic's. I did notice there was a software upgrade out there for it, but haven't bothered with getting it uploaded yet. Something that has seemed to help and I don't know why, but I reformat my cards after every pull. That has seemed to help some.. Especially in one of my D55IR's. It seems to blend previously deleted pic's and vid's with the new ones. Only a reformat fixes that, so it's just habit now on all my cards. Good Luck..

Dedgeez, is your D55 an IR or the old one with regular flash? I find the D55 has a much slower trigger speed than the M80 and the battery life is not nearly as good. Your thougts?

I have 7 D55 flash cams. I agree the trigger speed is slower and the battery life isn't close to the M80 with lithiums. BUT... My D55's all work great and take clear pics. I guess I would rather buy D55's and change batteries more often than have a new cam that takes crap pics.

FWIW, I did run the M80 on a scrape this fall on video mode and it was awesome. I will keep the cam for scrape footage in the fall, but for foodplot usage it is worthless.

I also am kind of cheap when it comes to cams and have the mentality of quantity over quality. I would rather have 20 D55's out that take pretty good pics as opposed to 5 Reconyx. I have owned just about all brands of cams over the years and when Moultrie started making the D55 I bought quite a few of them. They work great and are reliable, it's just that the IR cams have a place as well. The reason that my M80 is on that certain bean plot is that there is a buck there that is very camera shy and hates the flash. I just wish the M80 would take night pics that are on par with the day pics. My buddy and I (who runs all Reconyx) were comparing pics this fall and I was every bit as impressed with the M80 day pics as I was the HC500 pics, now the night pics..... that's another story :grin:

And no Cooter I have not tried the update. I guess I've always had the mentality that when you buy a cam it should just work without having to screw with it. Anybody ever tried the D55 IR's?

Flash vs IR

Also the quality of the camera has a big role in blurry pics. All of my Primos cams have blurred deer at night. My cuddeback and my trophy cam never had a problem with it. My old d55 never had a problem with it either. My moultrie IR did it worse than the Primos cams

I wonder if that radio tower in the background has anything to do with it? Too much light into the IR filter

dedgeez said:
And no Cooter I have not tried the update. I guess I've always had the mentality that when you buy a cam it should just work without having to screw with it. Anybody ever tried the D55 IR's?

So you have never bought a car or anything that has had a recall? If you did you wouldn't get it fixed because it should have been right from the get go. :confused:

Sent from Cooter's iPad using IW

So you have never bought a car or anything that has had a recall? If you did you wouldn't get it fixed because it should have been right from the get go. :confused:

HAHA, no that is not what I meant. And no I have never purchased a car that needed a recall.

The cam works and functions perfectly in all areas except for the blurry night images so I don't think anything is wrong with the camera to where it would need a update. It's only 2 1/2 mo's old, it better not need a update already.

I just hate blurry images. My buddies HC500s take a few blurry pics as well, but not to the extent that the M80 does. I guess more or less I was just looking for some examples or experiences that you guys are having with the same cams.

There is no way around blurry IR night pics. If it's an IR camera it will have some blurry pics. Some camera's are better than others but I always run it on a 2-3 shot burst and hope one will not be blurry.

There is no way around blurry IR night pics. If it's an IR camera it will have some blurry pics. Some camera's are better than others but I always run it on a 2-3 shot burst and hope one will not be blurry.

Ok, thanks Justin. That's more the advice that I was looking for. I have never ran very many IR cams and have always preferred flash. I will continue to use the M80 on video mode in the fall and may even buy another couple for those purposes, but for food plots I'm sticking with the flash cams.

jjohnson said:

That's why run mine on video.

Why don't you want to run yours on video on your food plot.

Mobile Cooter using IW

That's why run mine on video.

Why don't you want to run yours on video on your food plot.

Mobile Cooter using IW

I actually do! And I might next pull. I just wasn't sure how many videos it would hold and I had no idea how many deer would be using the beans come late season. I didn't want to fill the card and miss a bunch of pics as it was out for 3 + weeks. The videos with sound are impressive, and now that I can check that cam more often I will put it back on video mode.

dedgeez said:
I have other IR cams that don't take blurry pics, so I'm not sold on it being the IR vs. Flash.
This is why I was confused.

dedgeez said:
Ok, thanks Justin. That's more the advice that I was looking for. I have never ran very many IR cams and have always preferred flash.

Mobile Cooter using IW

2G is around 2100 videos and 4G is around 4200. They will take a 32G card

Mobile Cooter using IW

Last edited:
Cooter, the only IR cams I have ran before this one were the old black Moultrie I40's and I still have one that is 5+ years old and still works great. Those 3 cams (atleast mine) very rarely took blurry pics, I just never preferred the image quality compared to the flash cams. I guess I just like color pics.

The new camera have a motion freeze technology which is suppose to take care of the blur problem. But we'll see.

M80xt

Hmm looks interesting. How long do you guys run your videos? I think I had mine set on 10 seconds. Cooter are you basing the 4200 pics (4G) on 10 second vids?

Top Bottom