Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Morels in IA

I checked a few spots quickly yesterday and did not find any. I think we are just a little shy on soil temps right now. With all of the rain in the forecast in the next several days, soil moisture shouldn't be the problem...we now just need to get a few good days of 65 degrees and sun.

I don't think i've ever been so excited for mushroom season. Each day I am checking websites to see if people are finding them but I haven't heard much at all yet. I can't wait to get out and find some.

The internet also ruined morel picking. Would be interesting to see how many people started bow hunting, shed hunting and morel picking after learning about it on the internet.

The internet also ruined morel picking. Would be interesting to see how many people started bow hunting, shed hunting and morel picking after learning about it on the internet.

Shed hunting and deer hunting are one thing, but let's be honest finding morels is about as easy as going to the strip club and seeing boobs. There's no scouting or science to looking for an elm tree and finding the root line the morels are following down/ up the hill.

Shed hunting and deer hunting are one thing, but let's be honest finding morels is about as easy as going to the strip club and seeing boobs. There's no scouting or science to looking for an elm tree and finding the root line the morels are following down/ up the hill.
So you're saying every Elm tree will have mushrooms around it? You must have different Elm trees than where I hunt mushrooms.

So you're saying every Elm tree will have mushrooms around it? You must have different Elm trees than where I hunt mushrooms.

The majority of dead elm that isn't too far gone will have mushrooms around it more times than not.

The other main area is much more difficult for someone to identify than a elm tree.......

Almost everything I know about bow hunting I learned from Iowawhitetail and because of it I can pass it on to my kids. Thank you all!!!

Almost everything I know about bow hunting I learned from Iowawhitetail and because of it I can pass it on to my kids. Thank you all!!!

In many ways this statement is very sad to hear. More bowhunters today than ever in the history of Iowa, and still not enough mentors!

Not for sure where my explanation says anything of this sort. I said find an elm tree, that could be dead or alive. If you haven't a clue what your looking for exactly then maybe you should have someone take you out and show you what your exactly looking for in terms of area that will most definitely produce a morel. It's impossible to describe it online. I will say if you can properly identify an elm, and one that preferably isn't smoked dead you will be going in the right direction.

Completely disagree-could comment forever but I'll just leave it at that.

You cant be serious...:rolleyes:
Absolutely serious. In most places it is 10x harder to find areas to hunt, shed hunt etc. Than it was 10 years ago. The 'antler craze' I would classify as a direct result of the internet. Maybe I'm way off base, but I don't think so. Sorry for hi-jacking this morel thread. No mushrooms here and wont be for several weeks, soil temperature is way too cold.

Last edited:
Who cares how tough it is to find morels, sheds, deer, etc...! You should just be glad your able to get out there and do whatever it is that your in to. I am used to the fact that finding a shed or maybe two/three or 20-30 morels in a day, is a great day. Used to sitting in a tree all day and not seeing a single deer. I was not fortunate enough to have access to private land for almost all of my years of hunting. I would search and hunt long and hard on public land looking for these earthly treasures that you probably take for granted. My suggestion is stop complaining about how many people are out there. Get out there before they do, go and get yours!

There out there just not worth picking /stomping around n risk smashing others u don't c, plan n simple just need more heat, 48 at night won't cut it

Just to be a smart butt, I believe the science involved is dendrology. And I would have to get outside in the surroundings to find an elm tree to look around, which I think is scouting. Just sayin.:)

I started bowhunting after seeing it on tv and dvds, not the internet.:D But I knew before that that my chances at a deer would increase if I could hunt more than just in shotgun 1 or 2. That'd be the reason for also going in muzzleloader season. Just grew up with family that only shotgun hunted, so didn't give much thought about bowhunting, and I wasn't as addicted to it back then. And then shed hunting just naturally came from bowhunting as I was doing more scouting and knew what kind of deer were on the properties. Again, wasn't as addicted when I only shotgun hunted. But that's just me.

Just to be a smart butt, I believe the science involved is dendrology. And I would have to get outside in the surroundings to find an elm tree to look around, which I think is scouting. Just sayin.:)

:D:D:D Scout away buddy , scout away!!!
3347le9.jpg

Top Bottom