Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Morning or evening

Which is better a morning himy or an evening hunt? Does it depend on the deer that are in that area or the weather. Or its one significantly better than the other? 38 hours left til bow season..wooooohooooo

I'm not gonna hunt mornings in October, for sure early October BUT that's me. could miss out on some opportunities BUT I'll be low-impact in Oct. November I'll be out BOTH equally.

I agree with Sligh. We are just hunting afternoon feeding patterns during the first few weeks of october. Its too easy to really mess things up in the morning on a good feeding pattern.

I never hunt mornings until the last few days of October. Educate too many doe's getting into stands for one. Also, I've seen way too many people get burned out by hunting mornings in early October and not seeing much.. My best friend hunts mornings in October for some reason and never shoots anything and he ends up sleeping in during the best days of the rut. I guess it would be different if I had trail cam pics of a buck to go after early in the season and they were morning and I knew I could get in and out without getting busted, then I would try it, otherwise it's not worth it IMO.

Sligh1 said:
I'm not gonna hunt mornings in October, for sure early October BUT that's me. could miss out on some opportunities BUT I'll be low-impact in Oct. November I'll be out BOTH equally.

Even if you don't hunt food sources what if your hunting in between food and beds?

If you can slip in and out without going past a food/feeding area AND you're not bumping bedded deer- sure, why not?!? BUT, I don't run across those circumstances very often. Keep in mind, I said bumping BEDDED deer and yes, that's in AM- the MATURE bucks are often going to be bedded by light in Oct & obviously when you climb down, you need to consider the impact of your exit. IF you wanted to try and go after them, my PERSONAL approach would be hunting acorns a couple hundred yards from bedding area (pretty hard to do- defining those areas and being far enough away to sneak out undetected at end of hunt) as they'll probably graze on those right before bedding. Inner-woods acorns r probably what most deer are grazing in Oct. I'm skipping that approach BUT it works for some folks for sure. I also deal with BALANCING the amount of time & energy I have to hunt too- Oct is just ranked down the list BUT my major reasoning is making sure the pressure isn't too high on the bucks I'd like to go after. Just 1 guy's 2 cents and you for sure should get lots of opinions (which you're doing!). good luck!

Last edited:
Like Sligh1 and others have stated, I never hunt mornings in early and mid October. However, once October 26th or so rolls around I'll be out both morning and evenings. After that time I really don't have a preference as I've killed bucks both in the mornings and evenings during the rut.

Right on Sligh. I nearly always hunt evenings over mornings during October and don't typically hunt mornings until things are on the edge of busting loose in early November. once things are totally rocking, I will sit all day.

jamakinmecracy

I agree for the first weeks we are leaving the morning stands alone. Have had a few work in in the mornings but we don't like to bump the deer this early on. Don't want to educate em too much, they outsmart us without helping them out! :)

A buds got a few cam pics of a 150-ish , coming in on the regular at 6:eek:o pm ! :D He is a killable deer!! But! This guy has a boatload of 150/160 bucks and will probably let him walk!!!!!:thrwrck: Evenings are best RIGHT NOW!! :way:

I don't know if I can pass up a morning hunt, I like seeing the woods come alive with the sun. I also just kind of want to get out there with the stand and forget everything so I'm getting up at 5 on Saturday.

beararchery said:
I don't know if I can pass up a morning hunt, I like seeing the woods come alive with the sun. I also just kind of want to get out there with the stand and forget everything so I'm getting up at 5 on Saturday.

I'm right there with ya.

arrow flinger

Goose hunting this weekend in the morning and try to hunt deer Saturday afternoon.

I am going to try to go easy on my stands early in the season. I don't have alot of ground so I can burn a stand pretty easy.

I'm with most of you that have commented. Morning hunting in early October can be risky. Like Skip said, if you can do it without disturbing them while they are feeding, and you can leave without bumping them out of their bed, then have at it. I only have one or two of these spots. And they totally depend on the wind. I would hate to even know how many big deer I have pushed off of property by hunting them too hard in the early season.

First time on my land almost exclusive evenings,,saw,,,not much. Then tried alot of mornings,,,Much better. I believe,,since my area, noisy,,neighbors,,,,deer feel most sucure in the quiet of mornings. Depends once again, on your area. If you have alot of quiet acres,,makes a difference. Also,,,I hate shooting something at last light. Trying to find blood,,stumbling around in the darkness. Much better with the whole day to find it,,and cut it up,etc.

Like Sligh1 and others have stated, I never hunt mornings in early and mid October. However, once October 26th or so rolls around I'll be out both morning and evenings. After that time I really don't have a preference as I've killed bucks both in the mornings and evenings during the rut.

That's the route I plan on taking.:way:

Top Bottom