Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

morton home

dominator

i am in the market for a new home here in the next 6-9 months and was thinking about building a morton building and turning that into a home. it seems like a pretty sweet idea to me. i have been checking them out - could have a major lower level totally open and bedrooms upstairs like the pictures below. my question is.... do any of you have a home like this or know someone who does? it would be awesome to learn a bit about them. thanks

i wouldnt be doing all this fancy crap but you get the idea
morton.jpg

morton1.jpg

mortonhouse.jpg

That looks pretty cool! I've noticed more and more people doing this lately. Save some money and gain some space.....

Wow...I guess when I think "morton building" I think metal buildings. I know a few people that have done this and couldn't be happier. They tell me 2x6 walls are the way to go to better insulate... They've built some very large homes with very large barn/garage spaces for cheap. Do it right and you shouldn't be disappointed!

A buddy of mine did this before he was married and had a apartment upstairs and his race shop and engine building business and dyno room on the lower level.
One of the farms I hunt my friend put up a building for his machine shop and built a apartment in it for his retired father who helps out in the shop.

Last edited:
If I was to build a cabin or a house on a hunting ground I would do exactly that. You can make the building even bigger and put the house in the corner and then all of your vehicles, tractors and atv's are all in the same building.

sweetmorton.jpg

i bet we would have to buy a lot outside of town to build something like this. get plumbing and power to it, etc. dang

I am a sales rep for Morton Buildings in NE Iowa. I have sold several Morton homes. They are super energy efficient and you have the flexibility of clear span truss'. The homes I have built have exteriors of everything possible. Steel, Stucco with steel roof, vinyl siding with shingles, brick or stone. If I were in the market for a new home it would be a Morton Home.

Good Luck

I've been looking into this and my bank doesn't want to give me a real mortgage loan (fixed rate) but rather an ag loan with a variable rate (arm). The banks reasoning is that the home is non-traditional (hard to comp). Can anyone point me in the right direction or point me to a bank who does this type of lending.

Thanks, Jody

I am a sales rep for Morton Buildings in NE Iowa. I have sold several Morton homes. They are super energy efficient and you have the flexibility of clear span truss'. The homes I have built have exteriors of everything possible. Steel, Stucco with steel roof, vinyl siding with shingles, brick or stone. If I were in the market for a new home it would be a Morton Home.

Good Luck

Do you have a web site or phone number for a place to answer questions?

For info go to www.mortonbuildings.com. You will see a wide range of styles. Also you can receive literature and a dvd. They will point you to your local sales rep.
Didn't mean to turn this into a comercial.
Field service, I have a friend that has financed Morton homes. He is at First State Bank in Calmar. He is familar with our type of building and he has good rates. PM me for more info.

If you order the metal and everything, you could probably hire some Amish or Menonites to do it, and if any of you know about their craftsmanship, its second to none. We have friends that have done this and they haven't had a problem yet, plus it's fairly cheap that way.

Top Bottom