Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Most coyotes I’ve ever seen- folks noticing this????

Can’t wait till after Jan. 10 , (first try to get my muzzleloader tags filled. )Then it’s back to calling coyotes again. That’ll be fun with my new ar 6.5 Grendel I’m building. I should have it done by Jan. 10. (Any open farms to hunt coyotes on? )

You may want to check with your CO about using a spotlight. Not trying to be an internet police and I personally think spotlighting coyotes should be legal, but I'm pretty sure it's not.

:) I should have been more clear. The yotes seem to really show up on clear, big moon nights with snow cover. We can see them with the naked eye, but the spotlight is just to confirm it's not the neighbors black lab that can't seem to stay home. Then we go out around to the side of the house and use the A/C unit for a perfect rest. Can't miss.

:) I should have been more clear. The yotes seem to really show up on clear, big moon nights with snow cover. We can see them with the naked eye, but the spotlight is just to confirm it's not the neighbors black lab that can't seem to stay home. Then we go out around to the side of the house and use the A/C unit for a perfect rest. Can't miss.

Gotcha! Moonlit nights with snow are phenomenal! That's when I do most of my calling!

Gotcha! Moonlit nights with snow are phenomenal! That's when I do most of my calling!
Same with deer!!! Moonlight and a good scope- sit all night!!! ;). Kidding!!!
Buddies have “thermal scopes” and im sure u predator gurus know all about that. Sounds pretty neat & effective. Maybe I’ll have to experiment with a new hobby.

The term is "fecundity", a proven concept but to me it's like the chicken or the egg. Fun to discuss though.

I had a hot plan years ago to get an IR scope with an IR illuminator. Nope, even if the light is in a spectrum we can't see it is shinning an artificial lite on your target.

I had a hot plan years ago to get an IR scope with an IR illuminator. Nope, even if the light is in a spectrum we can't see it is shinning an artificial lite on your target.

Is that seriously illegal? With that logic I better shut off the living room light when I smoke a yote at night because it is shining artificial light on my target 100 yds away. Bull crap.

Or you have a yard light out by the feed bunks. The purpose of the light is not for hunting but it's still there. Illegal to shoot the possum in the feed bunk? Beats me. I do know if someone is purposely casting a light for the sole purpose of killing game then it's illegal.

Same with deer!!! Moonlight and a good scope- sit all night!!! ;). Kidding!!!
Buddies have “thermal scopes” and im sure u predator gurus know all about that. Sounds pretty neat & effective. Maybe I’ll have to experiment with a new hobby.

Yeah they are nuts. Can see a field mouse across field at hundreds of yards. Racoons in trees at 1,000 yards. Just crazy. Be aweosne for finding down deer in the dark quite frankly.

Wanna really blow your mind. Drive down gravel road in side by side in pitch black at about midnight and look thru thermal spotting scope. Holy critters.

Bothers my eyes after a while though.

Here is another thought. I was told by a sheep guy once that if the coyotes in the area were not killing sheep that he shouldn't kill them. He said that the coyotes that move in to take the place of the ones that were killed could be sheep killers thus causing a problem that he didn't have before, caused by killing coyotes.
I wonder if the same train of thought could be used for deer. If the coyotes in your area don't seem to be deer killers, maybe it's best to not upset the Apple cart?
Either way, I'm thinking about dusting of some snares come January. If nothing else it's a ton of fun.

The population in my area is actually down the last few years. Combination of mange and the guys running them hard with dogs the last few years. I ran traps for a couple weeks and was hard pressed to even find coyote tracks on most farms.

I noticed a big drop when the guys started hunting them with hounds several years ago. I think its a combination of they kill a bunch and the coyotes move out because of the pressure.

I would trap them hard till the season ends, everyone you kill now isn't going to be feeding pups in the spring, just my 2 cents. Out west the big numbers coyote guys run bait stations in CRP fields, pile up road kill deer, dead cows whatever they can get. They let the coyotes establish trails to the pile then snare them on those trails. That might be worth a try for guys with some big CRP fields.

The coyotes on me are FOR SURE KILLING DEER.
I do think ur logic makes sense though if they weren’t.
I’ve found so many fawn and small deer kills it’s insane. Lots of fawnless does. So- I got the “bad gang” on my turf.
Coyotes, as I’ve heard, are good on killing coons, possum, etc - so that’s a bonus (as well as mice) but they’ve gone beyond that balance with the fawns and simply being over populated. My ideal balanced approach would be to kill every one I can & also get guys to trap stuff like coons, skunks, possum. Think I’ve got an ongoing commitment ahead :).

Top Bottom