Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Moultrie Digital Cam

savey33

I'm just wondering what hunters think about the cheapest Moultrie digital game camera. Any complaints? I am using Stealth Cams right now and am happy with them, but having digital cams just makes more sense.

I've seen a lot of really nice pictures taken with them. For the price, if you get any pictures at all it would be worth it. Just remember...you get what you pay for in most cases.
grin.gif

I've had really good luck with mine, as soon as you figure out not to put it at 90 degrees to a trail. It takes a little over 3 seconds for the camera to fire after it has been tripped. Aim it down or up a trail and you will have better luck. On my foodplots it's great and I've also put it on some mineral licks and had great photo's. These aren't blowup quality pictures, but if you just want to know what's in the area....thumbs up. Super easy to set up too! Good luck
Bruce
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

Are you familiar with the 35mm Stealth Cams? I use those and are happy with the way they work. I get a lot of neat pics and am happy with the quality of pics they take etc. So I assume I would be happy with a digital. How would you compare the two?

They sell two models from what I have read. One is the WalMart and the other is the Bass Pro. The one in Bass Pro has a few more features and is more money.

I have seen lots of pictures from the Walmart one and they look real good. Only bad thing I am hearing is the slow trigger speed.

I've had much more luck with pics with the $90 moultree 35mm than the stealth 35mm; at this point I can't vouch for the digital, though I've considered buying one. I've heard the stealth digital's run out of battery power very quickly, I don't know if the moultree's do the same... If you get the moultree digital I'd be interested to know if you're happy with it. If you don't mind, send me a message. Thanks!

Do you know the trigger speed of the Stealth Cams? If it is better than those I'm not worried. Usually I have it angled on a good trail or over a scrape anyway.

I have couple questions about the Moultrie camera. The camera I have now is a cheap "Game View" digital. (Got to start some where) It uses a "ScanDisk" type memory card thing. I have a regular camera that also uses this type of memory. Is this the norm? Is the Moultrie using those memory cards? I did'nt use the Game View software either. I formated the card with my regular camera and run it on Kodak photo shop software. I can pull the card in the wood, stick it in my hand held camera review and delete as needed. Do most guys swap cards and review the pics at home?
Batteries... Volts and Amps????
My camera takes 4 C batteries. Can I build a jumper and hook it to a better power source?
I think the Moultrie is a 9V. If so, can it be jumpered to any 9V or is it not so simple? Amperage amounts matter I assume.
shrug[1].gif
confused.gif

The Moultrie uses sd memory cards. I bought my 128mb at wal-mart for $19.99.
It is powered by a large 6volt not a 9.
82deerpic5-med.JPG

I have the Mounltie and it has yet to take a picture over a bear bait. For some reason it just doesn't trigger. Bears move more slowly and stealthily than deer do so that's probably part of it. The Moultrie takes a picture or two of me when I come to rebait, but a bear can clean out the bait and it never takes a pic.

The really nice thing about it is the SD card. Just carry an extra card with you then replace the card when you check the camera, and put it in your computer at home. You never have to hook the camera up to anything. Great feature. Just wish I could get the darn thing to trip.

So have you tried it on deer trails etc.? Sounds like you wouldn't recommend getting one. Any opinions on the best inexpensive digital camera on the market?

I have had one since this last winter. I've got a ton of good pics with it. Not the greatest quality but for a pure scouting cam it works fine. It does seem to trip a little slowly so angling it on the trail is a good idea. If you have any other questions shoot me a message.

Can the Moultrie digital cams be modified at all to trip faster ? I have a 35mm VCam now (love it), and am looking towards an inexpensive move to digital. I'm just looking for scouting photos, but might be bugged by the slow trigger speed.

Top Bottom