Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Moultrie Game Spy 200

Waddell Wannabe

Quick Trigger
Well I'm trying real hard to make the jump to digital, but with the increasing college tuition, I find it really hard to part with my money. I've been looking at the Moultrie Game Spy series, and there are some on eBay I'm lookin at, mainly because they're in my price range. So I'm getting ready to bid on one and I pick up an old field and stream that happens to have an trail cam article, with tests on several different cameras. It gave the Game Spy, 3 out of 5 stars. Says it has a "very small shooting window". Just wandering if anyone uses this line, and if they had some pros / cons for me. Any ideas?

Well first of all I would recommend not buying it off e-bay. Something could be wrong with it. Just spend another 20 bucks and get it at wal-mart. I have 3 Moultrie gamespy 200 cameras. Mainly because of price. I just bought another camera at wal-mart on sale for $59.99. Thats rare tho, they usually sell for around $100.
I really like my moultrie's. they take great pictures for where i use them. The biggest drawback is the trigger speed. It is slower than slow. But for me it doesn't bother since I use them over mineral licks where they will be standing there a long time anyway. They would not work on trails well.
Other than slow trigger speed I like my cameras a lot and usually get around 300-400 pictures every 2 weeks during the summer months.

Here are some photos from VA with the Moultrie 200. Like ShedHuntinFool said, slow slow trigger speed but found it good for licks and feeders here and pretty good for the price I think. We have had pretty good success with the Moultrie.
6504Feburary_March_2007_trail_cam_034.jpg

6504Feburary_March_2007_trail_cam_005.jpg

Like everyone else says, the trigger speed pretty much sucks. BUT.....the price is right for a 3.1 mp camera. As long as you're using it over a feeder you're fine.

I've watched deer from my treestand stand in front of the camera for over a minute without it going off (at dusk so the flash gives it away). Makes you wonder how many bucks have stepped in front of the camera and you'd never know it. But if $ is a consideration like it is with me, your options are limited. I have heard nothing but bad things from the new Cuddebacks, so I wouldn't waste your money on those. The older versions were pretty flawless from what I hear. I would post pics from my 200 but they are all small bucks and don't want to get laughed off this site. haha

Good Luck

[ QUOTE ]
Any luck aiming them down a trail?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...

11-29Buck.jpg

They have to be at least 45 degrees to the trail or you will miss them.
crazy.gif

It seems i need to send mine back because it has the dreaded "low battery" alarm on it every day...I have to turn it off and back on but it won't last even 24 hours
confused.gif

Lots of folks have them and you can make them work...but after having the home brews....the Moultrie's really suck in comparison.
smirk.gif

You'll miss most deer by aiming down a trail. Best chance of pictures is over bait. I think the 200 has the dreaded sure shot feature, so if its just one deer walking down the trail, you'll probably miss it.

I have one and i like even tho we had a pretty cold and harsh winter mine didn't last 24 hours out there in about 20 degrees tht is my only problem

i bought one today and I'm exctied to get it out. I gotta get some corn and a mineral rock, but then I'll be set. Thanks guys!

My best advice for that camera is NOT to buy the 6v throw away lantern batteries. Get yourself a good sealed rechargable battery and charger and you will be alot happier with the camera. Red Head and Cabelas have Battery/charger combos for around $22. They do have slow trigger speed but as discussed above, there are still ways to get great pics with them. Good luck!

I personally don't use one of these but I have a few friends that do. I actually called Moultie a while back as I was trying to fix a problem one of those friends was having with a camera. While I was talking with one of their techs, I asked about the slow trigger speed. He told me that Moutrie cameras are designed to be used over feeders, mineral licks or something that is going to make the deer stay in place for more than a few seconds. That's why there so darn slow! According to him, the camera senses the heat...warms up the camera...then re-reads for a positive before it triggers. He actually told me that given the conditions, the thing could take 15 - 30 seconds before it triggers and that they couldn't do anything to speed that up. Sure seems like a long time to me.

Bad design if you ask me but I supposed it depends on how you are going to use it. They do take good pics though. Once again, I don't use one of these. Just thought I'd pass on the info that was given to me by the manufacturer.

Another thought...if you are willing to try and make your own camera. You can make a decent one for under 120. I just made 2 Sony S40's with the BG2 board for around 125. They camera is 80% of the cost so if you can find one of those for a good price....you got a deal. Take a look at the Homebrew post above or checkout HAGSHOUSE for more info.

Sorry...I didn't realize you already bought one. Wouldn't have posted if I had read all the way through
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My best advice for that camera is NOT to buy the 6v throw away lantern batteries. Get yourself a good sealed rechargable battery and charger and you will be alot happier with the camera. Red Head and Cabelas have Battery/charger combos for around $22. They do have slow trigger speed but as discussed above, there are still ways to get great pics with them. Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

or check out this thread for long lasting battery life in cold weather: high aH external battery

Either way...I agree the lantern batteries at $7-8 bucks a piece will soon pay for charger and rechargeable batteries.

Top Bottom