Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Moultrie Game Spy D40-digital

muddy

Saw this new camera from Moultrie this year and thought maybe it'd be a good first camera. The price is $99 at the local Scheels and I wondered if anyone had experience with Moultrie cams. I see that the most common gripe is their slow trigger speed, I wonder if the new ones are any better?

Moultrie 4.0 mega pix camera

They are going to be about the best camera out there for the money. The trigger speed is instant, it has a laser on it so when you set it up you can see where it is shooting. Honestly this camera is much better and much more cost efficent for 99.99. I think that everyone will probably be amazed.

Although Moultrie is reporting better trigger time (1 sec vs 4-5 sec), I hear they still have the dreaded 'sure shot feature' which requires one event to wake up the camera. If you've got the camera set to 1 minute delay, you essentially still have slow trigger time.

I bought one. It is a great improvement over there other models, but I'm still having trouble. It seems to work really good in IR. It senses me out to 30 feet very quickly and takes good pics. The situation I'm having trouble in is during some daylight pictures it's using the IR lense and producing all white pics. Some come out white and some come out fine, not sure of the problem. Anyway I'm returning in to Cabellas for another one to see if this is an ongoing problem or just a bad camera. The overall casing of the camera is pretty good and easy to utilize and operate. The memory card is a little difficult to get to. The way the camera sits on the tree it points down slightly so you have to put it higher on the tree when compared to other cameras. If I can get the IR working properly I think it would be a pretty decent cam.

I have an older one that I set over a lick and it worked great, although I have gotten white pics before too especially during mid-day(just a few). For a situation like this in the summer when they are stopping for a little treat for a few minutes, I wouldn't think of having a different setup. Question - I have one of the older models, but I think the new ones are designed the same. The thing that REALLY upsets me about these cameras is that they aren't set up to lock them to a tree. Anyone have any ideas? I wrote to Moultree and they said they did it to keep the cost down. I wish they would at least come up with something as an extra option to buy for those that want something.

I just got a new Moultrie D40 in the mail today. I am in the process of testing it. So far it appears it takes the camera about 2 seconds maybe a touch more to wake up for the first picture. The delay for the second(or third picture if you go that route) is much shorter more like 10 seconds or so compared to the 30 seconds of the older Moultries. I am not real sure how long it takes for the camera to go into sleep mode but it does trigger instantly when it is NOT in sleep mode. As far as I can tell for the money I think this one is gonna be tough to beat. I will post some pics as soon as I get it out.

[ QUOTE ]
I bought one. It is a great improvement over there other models, but I'm still having trouble. It seems to work really good in IR. It senses me out to 30 feet very quickly and takes good pics. The situation I'm having trouble in is during some daylight pictures it's using the IR lense and producing all white pics. Some come out white and some come out fine, not sure of the problem. Anyway I'm returning in to Cabellas for another one to see if this is an ongoing problem or just a bad camera. The overall casing of the camera is pretty good and easy to utilize and operate. The memory card is a little difficult to get to. The way the camera sits on the tree it points down slightly so you have to put it higher on the tree when compared to other cameras. If I can get the IR working properly I think it would be a pretty decent cam.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing IR is the laser aim. No IR lense. Or am I crazy?

Sorry. I meant a lens filter swings over to take the daytime pics to give it color I guess. Some of my pics in the daytime when the light is getting low it uses the infrared flash and they are coming back completely whited out. I called moultrie and they said try not to put it in a spot where there will be a lot of contrast beteen shadows and light because it confuses the camera. Other than that it seems to be working pretty good.

I stopped in and talked with JJohnson on Sunday about these cameras. I ran out of time or I would of bought one on Saturday.
Sounds like the jury is still out on these??
Anyone one else using them??
Guess I just need to pony up and finish my homebrews
smirk.gif

JJ,
Nice to meet up with you too.
You and your brother have a great place there. You will have to let me know when you hear of the fish hitting at the river.
One of my cameras would not work but I have one out. Got the licks in and the plots are doing great. I have pics but will have to wait until later to put them up. Gonna be a busy week.
Can't wait to check the cams again.
Take care

That is not same series cam as the new IR cams. If you want the new cam you want one of the following the I40 or I60 or the M40 and M60. All four are supposed to have 1 second triggers with a 2 to 4 second wake up for first pic. I am thinking about adding one of these.

Even if this camera has a slower trigger speed I was thinking it'd be fine for putting over a scrape in a well used travel area. Time shall tell, other things are in consideration as well.

Well, I bought a D40 today and have it out. I put it over a HOT mineral lick. I'll post pics when I pull the card later this week. The set up went fairly smoothly (seeing as how I didn't read any of the instructions).
grin.gif

Okay, what I know so far. I bought the cam for $99.99 (with tax it's $105.00). I wanted to get two sets of rechargeable NiMH batteries and two SD memory cards. That way, when I visit it, I can swap batteries and memory. The D Cell batteries at the local WalMart were $9.27/two pack. The D40 takes 6 at a time. I started by buying 6 batteries, since I'm checking out the 12V SLA option mentioned below (nothing is said about what type of connectors are needed?). I found some SD cards on sale at BestBuy, PNY 2 Gb for $24.99 each (the D40 can handle a 4Gb SD card). I bought two of these as I didn't figure I would ever need the 4Gb capacity that the D40 can use (I'm impatient when it comes to checking cams). I suppose a person might have found the batteries and memory cheaper on-line, but a bird in the hand...... So I'm sitting at roughly $185.00 and I will most likely spend another $30 on D Cells. Rechargeable AA's are looking cheap.

I need to put one of the new SD memory cards in it soon as I only had a 128Mb on hand when I set it up. I'll post pics sometime this week/weekend.

One thing that I'm a little bummed about is that the quickest refresh photo speed is 1 minute. My other trail cam (homebrew) has a BG1 board that can be set as quick as 10 second and that is where I liked it.

Copy/paste from Chasingame:
Moultrie MFH-DGW-4.0 (D-40) Review 06-09-2007

This is Moultrie's low end camera that appears to be packed with a great deal of high end features. In appearance it looks like the 05 and 06 cameras less the solar panel terminals. The addition of an external battery port is up on the right side of the camera which is covered by a rubber plug. When the case is opened the inside of the camera is removable from the outer case. The bottom rear of this inside camera has a removable slide plate to access the battery compartment (6 D cells) which holds the batteries very secure once the cover is reinstalled. The SD card slot is easily accessed on the front right of the camera. A well designed single switch will move you through the functions while a separate set of buttons gives you the up, down, delete and select options. A pushbutton on off switch is at the top left of the front panel. There should be no problems in the winter, even with gloves on. I did not find any problems with the water seal gasket on this camera, it remained in place through testing. All the previously designed security brackets for the 05-06 cameras will work with this camera. The claim of 60 day battery life is assumed to be what they call “normal conditions” meaning no extreme temperatures and probably using the lower rez settings. This is an area of high interest to most users. Trigger time (unofficial) looks like between 1 to 2 seconds and on the medium setting the color flash pictures were a bit grainy. First impression is that this is going to be a very easy to use and nice camera to have for the price. Using a large capacity 12v SLA external battery and a high capacity card (up to 4 gig) should allow some extended field deployments if desired. The outside pictures taken on the high setting at 0800 in the morning were still a little fuzzy but very true in detail and color. I would have no problem owning one of these as my field scouting camera with its $100 price tag because it will do just about everything that I would need. Flash range and sensing will happen tomorrow morning and trigger times will follow after that.

06-10-2007 Update: Did the flash range tests this morning and as advertised it is to 50 feet easily. The sensing range at 71 degrees this morning was 35 to 40 feet. We will get the trigger time tests and then to the field for all the movie and sample picture examples.

Note: One strange thing that I noticed. To simulate battery life I installed a set of used batteries which gave a reading of 80%. The camera would turn on but shut itself off before I could make it flash. We are going to have to determine if there is a threshold of battery strength which shuts the cam down. I installed one new battery which brought the level to 85% and the cam worked just fine. Long term battery life is advertised as being 60 days, so we will run the camera and monitor the battery level to see when it starts to shut down. During these tests I found that the camera when working would give me what appeared (unofficial) trigger time of around 1 second. I did not experience any of the sleep mode issues that were talked about in some of the early news leaks.

06-17-2007 update: This cam had been in the field for about a week and monitored closely. With a setting of low resolution, the flash and picture quality with flash are both just fair. This test will now be revisited with the high settings. Daytime pictures are much better. Setting side by side with a Stealth I-450, this camera matched pictures one for one as far as sensing so us knowing that the WD series stealth cameras have always had very good sensing this $ 100 camera seems to function very well. Pictures were caught of fast moving deer crossing in front of the camera. These pictures were blurry but show that the trigger time is also very acceptable. Bang for the buck we find nothing wrong with this camera. Back to the tree for the picture quality test set on high.

Top Bottom