Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mount Poses?

camo658

Which do you guys like? type of form?....Company?... My

Taxidermist and I were looking at poses yesterday.

It's a pretty hard process anytime you have to pick from several choices.

This is true of anything in life that requires picking from multiple options.

I think you should pick a form based on the type of rack you have on your buck and availabe wall space/type.

So, I'm just looking for anyones opinion on which form they found looked the best overall.

Few things:

- I like big necks

- I like a lot of (big) brisket showing

- I don't like "to big" of a turn (I maybe showing this up at the classic-- so you want something others will see well)

- I don't like forms where the deer "smiles"... it looks goofy and stupid..

- I don't like forms where the deer is looking up towards the ceiling (atleast not on this buck)

- I like forms where the buck looks to hold himself in high regard... "I'm the king of the woods"!...

So, what do you guys recommend?

Last edited:
Tell your taxi what you like & don't like. If they have some experience they will know what form will fit your deer best and showcase what you like. If they don't have the experience... Caveat emptor... They cannot turn a pencil-neck buck into the king of the woods and it will look horrid if they try. You need to have realistic expectations based on the antlers & cape you provide for them to work with. BTW: The "smile" is not built into the from. That is the fault of the taxidermist. Good luck.

Then you are looking for the McKenzie 6900 series.

That was one of the first ones he showed me. I've been back and fourth on it. It's hard to know what it will look like on my buck without the form. The posters and Magazines can be so deceptive based on the camera angle the photographer used to take the picture from. Also, the size and look (cape color and size) of the deer can make it deceptive to.

What I really want to do is get my "rack" back from the taxidermist and go to some different taxidermists that have forms available in their shop and see what they would look like with my buck's rack on them. I don't know if that is a common practice or a no-no in the taxidermy community. I would imagine Breiner would know.

Tell your taxi what you like & don't like. If they have some experience they will know what form will fit your deer best and showcase what you like. If they don't have the experience... Caveat emptor... They cannot turn a pencil-neck buck into the king of the woods and it will look horrid if they try. You need to have realistic expectations based on the antlers & cape you provide for them to work with. BTW: The "smile" is not built into the from. That is the fault of the taxidermist. Good luck.

I know that. I've asked his opinion on the matter. Yes, it depends on what the neck measures. It depends on the size of the form, which you order based on your measurements.

What I really want to do is get my "rack" back from the taxidermist and go to some different taxidermists that have forms available in their shop and see what they would look like with my buck's rack on them. I don't know if that is a common practice or a no-no in the taxidermy community. I would imagine Breiner would know.

That is a no-no:way: Kind of like going to a bait shop and showing the guy the lures you just bought somewhere else.

That being said, I'd be happy to show you some stuff in my shop if you are ever in the area.

For a deer that has that stoic "big buck" look I like these 2 forms. Not too much turn and nothing fancy.

Joe Meder semi upright- not much brisket on the Meder forms though
65274346.jpg

Revolution Semi sneak (The intimidator is the same form just with the huge meaurements)

fred1a.jpg

The Revolutions have a blockier head which I like for big Iowa bucks.

Last edited:
That is a no-no:way: Kind of like going to a bait shop and showing the guy the lures you just bought somewhere else.

That being said, I'd be happy to show you some stuff in my shop if you are ever in the area.

Alright, thanks for letting me know that. I might just have to take you up on that offer. This is really a trying and deceiving process.

I took my buck in this year, told my taxidermist all I really wanted was a slight left turn, and let him choose the rest. I could sit there for hours and decide what I think would look right, to have it done and have it still look goofy. He has done thousands of heads, he is going to know what is best..

For a deer that has that stoic "big buck" look I like these 2 forms. Not too much turn and nothing fancy.

Joe Meder semi upright- not much brisket on the Meder forms though
65274346.jpg

Revolution Semi sneak (The intimidator is the same form just with the huge meaurements)

fred1a.jpg

The Revolutions have a blockier head which I like for big Iowa bucks.

They might have to much turn. The last one is do-able maybe. The last one really has a pretty cape, Wow!

Anyone else have any examples/opinions of good mount styles? If you have a nice mount feel free to post it.

Always been a fan of the more classical poses. Semi sneak, semi upright, natural ear positioning, etc. With that said, The next good deer I shoot, I would like to have a pedastal mount done. Here are a few of mine. Good luck with your decision.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Always been a fan of the more classical poses. Semi sneak, semi upright, natural ear positioning, etc. With that said, The next good deer I shoot, I would like to have a pedastal mount done. Here are a few of mine. Good luck with your decision.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sweet mounts Dedgeez! The top one looks like an interesting position.

Don't overthink the process...I know I did that with the first couple I had done. And now, my favorite is the most recent one I had done when I took it to the taxi and simply said "Use your skills and make it look cool", which he definitely did :way:

NWBuck

In my opinion revolution makes the best looking, most anatomically correct forms to date. And they fit our big faced big necked deer awesome!

Don't overthink the process...I know I did that with the first couple I had done. And now, my favorite is the most recent one I had done when I took it to the taxi and simply said "Use your skills and make it look cool", which he definitely did :way:

NWBuck

Yea, I'm doing that quite well. The thing is: You don't want to invest in a finish product, have it done, and just pretend the things are "okay" when everything is "not" okay. It's definetly a tough process but fun to. It's so hard to pick without having the forms be actually there.

But I'm ready to shoot another big one. This saturday or sunday i'll be heading to the exact same spot with a group. hopefully, somebody will let me use their tag (AND TAG IT FOR ME!!!) if a big one jumps out. There was to two other "NICE" bucks that I saw that night besides my own. There was one that was either close to or bigger than my own.

In my opinion revolution makes the best looking, most anatomically correct forms to date. And they fit our big faced big necked deer awesome!

Their definetly up there. The problem is mine has a smaller neck. 21 or 22 by 24.

Last edited:
Top Bottom