Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mountain Lion killed in South Sioux City

aauummph

Just heard on the radio that a Mountain Lion was found in a residential area in South Sioux City, Ne (across the Missouri River from Sioux City) Apparently the cat was in the tree and they shot him down. Im sure more will come about later on.

South Sioux was my hometown before I moved across the river to South Dakota. My cousin works for the water department in South Sioux and took these pics. WOW! Three blocks from my grandma's house!!
980DSC00129-med.JPG

Laast one. He said the sheriff shot it and the DNR came and took it away. Check out the squirrel in the top pic barking at the lion. That is what prompted the lady whose yard it was in to go look outside. She then called the police.

980DSC00133-med.JPG

[ QUOTE ]
Is that the one the Mule killed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I should have specified...South Sioux City is in Nebraska, across the river from Sioux City, Iowa. Not many lion killing mules around these parts.

Very unfortunate that it worked it’s way into an urban area.

Goes to show, as long as they stay away from people, they can be anywhere.

Next time you walk out with the new moon, keep an eye out behind ya. LOL

Sorry they had to put it down, just another deer hunter.

interesting to see if it was a wild cat, or a pet that had been released. hopefully this doesn't start everyone wetting their pants, that the cats are going to start eating children

Anybody heard whether it was male or female? how much it weighed?

This article appeared in today's (11/23/2004) edition of the Lincoln Journal Star

"NE - Mountain lion killed in South Sioux City neighborhood

SOUTH SIOUX CITY, Neb. - A young male mountain lion was shot and killed Tuesday in a residential neighborhood.

The animal, which weighed about 120 pounds, was perched in a maple tree in the front yard of a house on the northwest edge of the city, the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission said.

A Dakota County sheriff's deputy killed the mountain lion around 9:30 a.m. The cat was taken to the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission headquarters in Lincoln where tests will be performed to determine the animal's age and health.

The incident is 17th confirmed sighting of a mountain lion in Nebraska since 1992.

Biologists believe mountain lions are leaving higher density areas in the Rocky Mountains and Black Hills and are traveling into Nebraska and Iowa.

People who see mountain lions are asked to report their sightings to the commission, which will investigate and report on its findings."

You will note in Tomo's pictures posted above that the images of the dead cat were taken in the bed of a Nebraska Game and Parks Commission Conservation Officer's pickup truck. You can see the CO badge sticker on the truck bedliner.

Top Bottom