Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

movement tonight

Daver

PMA Member
Deer moving all afternoon But very subdued walking slowly no chasing have seen 4 bucks one nice one shot a doe earlier peculiar beautiful red sunset

Drove from CR to Ames this morning. Saw a lot of deer. Nothing huge. When I returned home had several D & F in hay field. Finally saw a shooter 150 class. He was with a doe and wouldn't stray too far from her. Action is heating up. Starting 2 week vacation tomorrow.

Good luck to all of you

Was in the stand from 11 am til dark and it was pretty slow. Saw 4 bucks, all dinks, and 1 doe. I still have not seen any serious chasing but it's got to be coming soon.

FYI...Hunted on Tuesday at a property in Plymouth County, IA and bucks were chasing like crazy. Hunted last night about 5 miles south (Woodbury County, IA) and it seemed like very little rut activity ...

I sat last night on a picked cornfield in Lucas Co. This was the first night I really saw some rutting action. There were two shooter bucks that were in the mix although more just monitoring the does and watching the 1 and 2 yr olds going crazy. None of the does were ready to go and there were probably 25 of them in the field. Really fun night to be in the stand.

I thought I made a post to this thread last night from my stand, but it must not have made through the airwaves or something. :D

I saw several deer moving last night, but again, quite uninspired, mainly just walking about. I had one doe get moved through the area right by me, but the buck on her tail was an 11 pointer...as in 1 and 1, a spike!

At the end of the evening I heard some scuffling in the leaves, although subdued from normal hard chasing, and several grunts. Ahaaah I thought...he turned out to be a whopping forkhorn!

So I had an eventful evening, but the big boys are not very visible right now. Same report from multiple neighbors. I think this coming Monday looks like the "day" for my neighborhood.

hunted all afternoon called in one dinkdoh,then at 5;35 saw 2 bruiser dohs sneaking my field edge,NOTHING CHASING EM!south of perry,really slow rut activity!

I saw my first shooter of the season last night, a big mature 10. He came up the ridge panting with his tongue out, walked right under my stand and continued up the ridge straight away, didn't turn broadside so I was left dejected as he walked away. I've been seeing some serious chasing all week with the dinks, nothing big. I'm hoping the best is yet to come.

I hunted all day in a funnel that I needed a south wind to hunt. I saw 12 bucks, 10 of them by 11am and the other 2 from 3-4pm. The problem is that they were all 1-1/2 yr old deer. only 2 were chasing 1 does all the others were cruising. Made for an exciting day. Cant wait to start seeing something a little bigger.

This morning I was hunting in funnel between 2 bedding areas. It was dead quiet. Didn't see a deer. Got down about 9:30 tired of sitting there without even a noise....walked to top of ridge and glassed big CRP valley. Spotted real nice buck chasing a doe and he chased her into the timber about 150-200 yds from me. I snuck into the timber but didn't see or hear anything after sitting there for an hour.

This evening had shooter at 50 yds but no shot. He, smaller buck and 2 does all came to picked corn field early between 3:45 and 4:30. No sightings after that.

Seeing big guys locked down with hot does right now and hard to find.

Where i hunt the bucks aren't chasing yet does are still grouped up i saw one buck at cruzing yesterday mid day on the way home have a feeling Sunday its going to fire up

Been slow again in SE IA. Yesterday i watched a 150 chase a doe across cut beans. Hung a stand where he came out so hopefully it pays off. Not the first time ive seen big bucks come out from this spot either.. Fingers crossed for tomorrow! Good luck everyone

A semi live update...:D via texts from my son.

my son Mark is hunting this afternoon at our farm(no school) and he has shot a doe, down in sight, and just decoyed a 130" 8 point and got some good video he says. If I understand his texting shorthand :D he also got his doe kill on video. Which is better than I have been able to do. :D

he is seeing movement, but nothing crazy. Which is what I saw Tues and Weds this week too. I am gunning for Monday myself, I think there will have to be some good chasing that day and the wind direction sets up well for us. The south and east winds limit us at our place.

I hunted last night and didnt see very much action but ended up calling in two bucks right at dark. It was too dark to really see how big they were but i got behind my decoy and walked towards them making bleet sounds with the can and they can running up to me within 10 yards, was way cool and kind of frightening at the same time.

Had a great sit tonight. Went out to shoot a doe for a family I know that really needs the meat. Didn't see one doe but seen 7 bucks including one that I shot 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Tracked him for over 400 yards and lost the blood trail. I hit him way forward. He didn't present me with a shot tonight but at least I know he's alive. I hope I get a chance to get this buck down this year. He's a really nice 10 in the 150's.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I hunted all day in Jefferson county. Only deer I seen in the morning were in the field when I parked my truck. Then 3 does the last 15 minutes of shooting light. Im thinking tomorrow with the warm weather are just going to be early and late hunts. Save my energy for the weather on Sunday. Very disappointing day.

Saw three nice bucks today, all locked down with does in open fields.
I saw a buck locked down with a doe last Sunday and saw three pairs out in the open on the way to work Monday morning.

On the way out after tonight's hunt, I bumped into the only buck of the evening. Saw a spike and a 5 point during the morning hunt.

Top Bottom