Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Movement update...

Good night tonight as deer were heading to a cut cornfield starting around 3:30. 2 good bucks at last light, just out of range.

The doe hunters managed to push all the deer off the property I have been hunting onto a piece of leased ground.I saw 3 bucks (one 150'' 10) and about 8 does run out and go into the leased land.That was about 3 minutes after 6 or 8 shotgun blasts.

It was almost like someone shut the lights out on the rut...more like flipped the breaker! Tonight was a perfect night in SE Iowa and saw one 120's come and check out a doe and her two fawns, then just slipped back in the woods...besides that it was dead which really had me surprised...thought there might be some decent movement tonight.

Same thing here, had a shooter following 6 does at 3:50pm , after that never did see a deer again. And of course, all 6 does slipped through my shooting lane, and the buck stayed behind some scrub brush avoiding to much exposure. There's always tomorrow..

Thanks for the updates...keeps me at it for a few more days before the guns start blazing. I did hear two bucks banging heads right before dark tonight...it was very quiet here, so might give that a try tomorrow evening.

Tonite. 7 does. 2 bucks 120 ish!! All for the food!!! Rutting (As it were!) is done!!!!

Last edited:
Crockett, I would have to agree with you...My son bowhunted this year for the first time, and now sees why I can come home with nothing and still have had a wonderful hunt. He got to see things quiet and up close as only bowhunters can...he also got to experience the thrill of the rut with the chasing and all that goes on there. He said last night...well dad, I see why you're always a bit sad that another rut is gone. I started this post a few weeks ago, and I would like to thank everyone who has followed it, and contributed...it's been fun to kind of watch a bow season unfold from so many different perspectives.

Bucks moving

Had two bucks come in this morning right after first light. I didn't have an opportunity on a nice 8 but I did take what I thought was a doe. Turns out it was a spike with one antler busted off. So I used my antlerless tag. Don't know how I missed the antler. It was good shooting light. I guess my eyes are getting old.:(

Getting into a morning and evening pattern here. Dragged estrous scent yesterday and small 8 walked right over it, looked around and walked off, uninterested. Looks like winter pattern set in.

I went out yesterday afternoon and this past weekend and have noticed deer really shifting to feeding patterns. Of course since I'm tagged out I've had opportunities at the two biggest deer I've had in front of me all season. Hopefully they'll be sticking around for late muzzy.

Last weekend I was hunting with my cousin and was trying to get him on a buck. I rattled in a mature 10pt that would easily make 160's. We were in different stands but close together and he didn't get a shot but it walked right by me.

Yesterday afternoon, I tried to sneak in around 4:30 to fill a doe tag. I had spotted a mature doe and was trying to put the stalk on her but was cut off by 3 bucks that were working their way towards a turnip plot. Had a big boy at 20 yds before he spotted me in the brush and got nervous. All three ended up leaving together and I was able to sneak out without them knowing what I was.

If you have a good food source I would be hunting trails leading to it. It seems like winter patterns are starting to develop.

Top Bottom