Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Moving to Iowa

Tim Bannen

Hello All,

I am in need of some information, I am in the process of getting ready to move to Iowa from Michigan. I could use some info on the economics and job market in N.E Iowa. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have researched untill I'm blue in the face and cannot come up with much more than population stats.

Hi Tim,

I travel that area quite a bit with my job. It doesn't seem like many are hiring at all right now but if we knew what you were looking for that may help. I handle the water treatment programs for a few of the facilities in the area.

I live in the NE corner. Right now manufacturing is slow but not as bad as some places. Some layoffs and a couple of plant closings and very little hiring. Home and commercial construction seems pretty strong, at least they are holding thier own. They should be getting busier soon with warmer weather just around the corner. Retail is prolly the strongest. Hope that helps a little bit.

Dubuque has IBM coming in and they're taking applications...no idea what positions though.
I work for a contractor in DBQ and we're slow but keeping busy.
Some of the manufacturing facilities are currently laying off.

Thank you for the replys, I am a licensed builder in Michigan, large scale custom homes has been my bread and butter. Honestly, I am open to most work, more so outdoor work than others. At this point I would scoop the do-do out of a co-co clock to get out of this state, it is going down really fast.

Most of NE iowa is very rural. Therefore, less jobs overall. Pretty much everybody that lives here has chosen to live here for reasons other than their "job", which I'm guessing is why you are looking here also.

They do hire people to scoop "do do" up here if you are interested:)

Do you have any idea what town or county your moving to? That may help us give you some better ideas what that place has to offer. There are all kind's of construction outfits that take on summer help so I don't see you having a problem getting on somewhere. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thank you for the replys, I am a licensed builder in Michigan, large scale custom homes has been my bread and butter. Honestly, I am open to most work, more so outdoor work than others. At this point I would scoop the do-do out of a co-co clock to get out of this state, it is going down really fast.

I live in the SE part of Iowa which is struggling right now but I would check the Cedar Rapids/ Iowa City area because some rebuilding will be going on from the flooding last year.

There also will most likely be some road construction jobs that you might look in to until the housing market picks back up.

Good luck in your job search!

We have looked in the Waukon and Decorah areas, going to make another trip out in a month or so to show the wife a few more towns. I really fell in love with the Waukon area myself. I appreciate all of the responses from you all. It definately helps to narrow down the search

Tim,

As much as it pains me to say this, Decorah has more to offer than Waukon. However, I do know quite a few people who live in Waukon and work in Decorah. Thier both good for different reasons. If you want to know more about that area you can send me a pm or stop in at the sports shop at the north end of town. JJohnson on this site runs the sports shop.

Top Bottom