Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

mower

arm

Leg
Likely this question comes by a lot here. I'll likely get a Swisher pull behind rough cut mower at 44"; fits my budget better than the others. I need to take care or thick grass areas, don't really plan on needing to blow through saplings or brush. What's the min HP to go with? Bogging down and time are my main concerns.

Your needs seem very similar to what I use my Rough Cut for each year. I bought a used 44" with I believe a 11.5 or 12.5 hp motor. It handles most grass spots pretty easily. I have one farm that I hunt where I mow trails through taller CRP each spring. I need to go slower through that. Wet conditions will slow you down in both scenarios but I guess my take is that's to be expected.

I have no complaints on this unit.

Last edited:
Gotcha. I see Swisher starts around the 11.5hp but I've seen other brand rough cut mowers closer to 19/20hp. That range just made me question what's really needed

Buy bigger and newer, if you can. The older models have some negatives. Overall, my Swisher has done pretty well.

I got a Agri-Fab off Craigslist last fall. The guy had replaced the motor and put an 18hp engine on it. Its one bad mother. 2-3" trees is not a problem.

If it can fit it into your budget...you will never be upset you got the tougher unit on things like this. Get as high a hp as you can.

I feel the 11.5HP is under powered !! Especially in tall grass . I own the Swisher 44" 14.5HP mower and it will level anything it rolls over . It has seen 1 season . {2015 model }. I purchased a utility tractor and 3-point mower so am trying to sell it . Bought new last spring for $1800 and will sell for $1400 . Goes for ever on a tank of gas . If interested call 712-363-0270 . Browtines

I feel the 11.5HP is under powered !! Especially in tall grass . I own the Swisher 44" 14.5HP mower and it will level anything it rolls over . It has seen 1 season . {2015 model }. I purchased a utility tractor and 3-point mower so am trying to sell it . Bought new last spring for $1800 and will sell for $1400 . Goes for ever on a tank of gas . If interested call 712-363-0270 . Browtines

That's the unit I was looking at. Location?

I am located in NW Iowa , and hunting property is in South Central Iowa . Could be picked up either place . Browtines 712-363-0270

FWIW...I have the 14.5 and I still bog it down in thick grass. Wouldn't even consider the 11.5. Be sure to get a couple extra belts regardless of which one you get. You will likely smoke a belt before the engine dies when in thick stuff.

I've run my 14.5 through reeds canary grass and mature Italian rye grass and never experienced any issues . A sharp blade and possibly making 2 passes through , the first with the blade set a little higher makes a huge difference !

Top Bottom