Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

MT ELk

DOR

Life Member
Hey all-
Considering going to MT for Elk archery this fall. Has anyone been there and care to share any info. Its a big state and we are trying to narrow down our research a bit. Of all the states we've looked at MT seems to be the hardest to research. UT, WY and NM we have our research and areas selected and were able to basically do that with phone calls and the internet, but for whatever reason MT seems a bit tougher to research in detail. PM if you like. I have been there deer and antelope but never for ELK. Not interested in guides, this would be a public land DIY hunt.
Thanks all

I go to the missouri breaks area around the Fort Peck Res. north of Billings. Some real big bulls taken there every year.

The Missouri breaks has some very big bulls yes, there are other areas that do too such as the Elkhorn Range, and Bearpaw Mountains, all of these areas are legendary for big bulls however they are all special draw tags less then 100 tags per area are given out with thousands of applicants. Your best bet is start getting online and looking up some outfitters all over the state. I am from MT have been hunting elk there for a long time, it is definitely tough but rewarding! As for looking for advice, outfitters are your best bet as some locals are very secretive of their elk hunting honey holes.

Hunting fool, Eastman's MRS, and magnumtags.com are all good sources. Montana is the hardest state to research, for one thing their website is a jumbled up mess IMHO.

You better get on the ball, you have to apply by march 15.

Top Bottom