Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muddy sticks vs Lone Wolf

iowabucks

I want to buy a stand/sticks combo for run and gun bowhunting someday and currently doing some research on each product. They each have their strong points, but it would be great if you could combine the best of each one into one package.

The things i like about each:
the longest sticks possible (LW)
quietest (Muddy rope system)
easiest to put up (Muddy)
lightest (LW)
attches to the stand easily (LW)
2 steps at each level (Muddy)

Could the LW sticks be converted over to the rope system rather than the noisy buckles that need the strap to be run through them? That would be the ultimate stick IMO.

What are your opinions on this?

Could the LW sticks be converted over to the rope system rather than the noisy buckles that need the strap to be run through them? That would be the ultimate stick IMO.

there are ropes that you can make/buy to replace the LW straps. I think they are called UCR ropes. A few guys on the site were making some back in the spring or winter. I've never used or seen the UCRs, but from what I've read on other sites, they're the bomb for quiet set-ups.

Hopefully someone will chime in with more info on these.

I have a set of UCRs for both my LW. Bought mine from a guy on AT. They are nice. Strong and quite. They are a little trickier to use. But im getting better with them. They take two hands to tighten.

Mobile Cooter

Last edited:
I have both and the Muddys are pretty slick but you need more to get up to 18-20 feet. I was a bit nervous as I saw how easy the rope pulled out of the Muddy but I assume with the weight they tighten up pretty well.

Anybody have any Muddy sticks slip on them?

Here are a couple pix of my LW sticks with UCRs. I got seven footers so I can get up in much larger tree than the muddy or with the LW straps. I use a saftey harness with a linemens rope which makes the two hand usage not a big deal. I still use the LW straps on the stand so I have plenty of extras to replace when they get old.

It would be nice LW would go with this system.

The only good things I see with muddy is the two steps and the stock rope attachment. Other wise they are short and don't stack on the stand well last I knew.

Mobile Cooter

Last edited:
Cooter - your pictures still show the Versa Button.

Are the UCR ropes still used with the versa buttons? How are they adjustable this way?

I was wondering if Muddy's rope cam system could be used on the LW sticks.

They still use the versa buttons. It a simple thing but hard to explain. There two loops one is on the static line. The static line is then thread through another line that has a loop on it. When you stretch the line tight over the static line it grips very tight.

I don't know if this makes since but I don't know how else to explain it. I know the braking strength is very high and I weigh 240 and haven't had one slip.

If you do a search for UCRs on here you might find more and better info.

Here a couple more pix maybe they will help.

If not im sure Travis will post some info on it tomorrow.

Mobile Cooter

Last edited:
I use 3 lone wolf's and 2 muddys. Great combo. Can get high with them or can go up crocked trees with that combo as well.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
They work like a chinese finger trap. That is the best explanation that I have heard. I can assure you that they are strong, and will not slip. If you go this route, they work best if you are using a climbing belt because they do take two hands to tighten. I prefer them over the straps because of how quiet they are. Also, like Cooter said, they are longer than the Lone Wolf straps so you can get them around larger trees. I made one of my UCR's about 10 foot. I use this one on the bottom and it has allowed me to get into trees that were too big for the lone wolf straps.
If you need some more info on UCR's just let me know and I will help if I can. The guy that was selling them on Archery Talk had a thread explaining how they worked.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=723513&highlight=ucr's
I agree with Nanny...3 Lone Wolf and 2 Muddy sticks is a great setup.

I made my own UCR like cooter and JakeWym have, and I learned how from this site. I have never hunted with mine, but I have set up my stand a few times and I love them so far. I made them for my stand too, but they have a little to much strech for that, so I still put a rachet strap on that.

By the way JakeWym, Thanks for the info on them.

i use 2 screw in step at the bottom of all my stands, then i use the 4 muddy sticks the rest of the way, it gets me about 18-20 feet depending on how far apart i put the muddy sticks. this setup for me works great so far.

i use 2 screw in step at the bottom of all my stands, then i use the 4 muddy sticks the rest of the way, it gets me about 18-20 feet depending on how far apart i put the muddy sticks. this setup for me works great so far.

Good idea. And money saver for that matter

Top Bottom