Muddy's Late Season Muzzleloader Buck

G

Tag teamed this buck, more story to follow. He was pretty messed up, either
hit by a shotgunner or a car, back end screwed and really skinney

Matt

mattnatedeer.jpg

Hey all, long time no type.

It's been a rough late season my way...

Things started out VERY depressing. I found out from the the landowner that I hunt on that he found 8 bucks after shotgun season...all dead...and all with their headgear cut off and the rest left to rot. I almost gave up. I decided to hold out for something decent and if not take a doe. Anywhoo, my buddy and I have been hunting sunup to sundowon for the past week. This afternoon we gave up on stand hunting and went to pushing draws. The 5th push produced some luck. I was walking and I hear my buddy shoot and so I ran to the top of a ridge in time to see a buck running my way. He gets into thick stuff and beds down so I assume he's done for. Wrong. He hears me sneaking out and takes off into the ravine. We figure he's gone when all of a sudden here he comes right at me, he's dragging the back right leg and limping really bad, I woud've normally passed him up but he was looking really bad. At 20 yards I let him have it and within 5 seconds he was down. We're still not sure exactly what happened but I think he was hit in shotgun season in the back leg right through his tarsal gland snapping the leg into uselessness. His other leg was also dislocated so he wasn't moving real well. He'll probably dress around 140 give or take, he would've been nice next year but from his condition I doubt he would've made it. Not sure on the score (dont really care) yet but we're happy to have 1 down after a fruitless week.

My buddy nailed a big doe today and tomorrow we're gunna process them both up, will let y'all know what the verdict is. You can see his back right leg and the big hole where a shotgun slug hit him. A car may have done damage earlier but that hole is a perfect circle and blown out on one side...absolutely nasty.

Anyone think I should take a risk eating him??

Man that it is really sad that anyone would let one deer go to waste but 8 in I assume one area is terrible. I hope the farmer knows the people responsible and tells them to find another location to hunt in 2003.

well, we got him cut up. his back leg looked like it did take a car and the hole is from a slug. he was green and didn't smell so good. unfortunately i'm not brave enough to eat him.

while trackinghim we found another 8 point within 100 yards that was bigger ans lost during shotgun season. 9 bucks, 10 counting the one i harvested that won't be in the timber next year...sucks to be huntint that area next year.

That really sucks,Muddy.Does the landowner know who all was in there? Maybe he can prevent it from happening again.That still doesnt help the current situation. Actually it sounds alot like an area I hunt. Farmer has found many bodies with the heads cut off.It has become quite a disturbing trend.Is your area in Clayton county? I guess I'm just hoping its an isloated incident
rolleyes.gif
Unfortunately probaly not
cussing.gif

Jackson County. No leads on who did it. We do know of several people who were hunting the area but that doesn't mean anything really. Hopefully we can figure it out, if not, then I guess I'll have to tough it out. Of the people we do know some of them are big talkers and hopefully within a year or so they'll start bragging about how they killed all these bucks. I'm pretty bummed about it.

What part of Jackson County? Graduated from Maquoketa in '84. I still Turkey hunt back there every spring. I understand your dissapointment...I have more respect for the animals then the idiots out there.

Western half, that's as far as I'll tell ya.
wink.gif
You graduated from Maq in '84 eh? Well, I was in 1st grade then!!
grin.gif

such a pup.....turn 37 tomorrow (one year closer to 40) what are you in the witness protection program or something?
icon94.gif

I should elaborate, I went to Maquoketa also. No witnes protection program here, just respceting my ELDERS and just in case I disrespect them they don't know where to come and find me. No biggie. Been hunting all around there my whole life, if you did any hunting while in high school or thereafter you probably went to my Dad's gun & archery shop south of Baldwin at some time or another. Watters Gun & Archery be the place.

Love the sarcasm Muddy, Not far from where my Mother lives (just west of the caves road) I new a few folks from Baldwin (Snyders, ....) I didn't realize there was a shop south of Baldwin. Did most of my purchasing in DBQ. Originally from Illinois though, so I don't know a lot of people other than the ones I ran around with in the 80's (while you were still missing your front teeth and wetting the bed). Good chatt'n with ya.

love the sarcasam eh?
wink.gif
wetting the bed and missing my front teeth eh?
smile.gif
well, you'd better watch out cuz you're almost to that age again!
grin.gif

Captain-

Any luck near Strawberry Point this year?
I hunt a farm near there and visit Rod -n- Cals for lunch occasionally. A 17" 8pt was what we took put saw some pretty good ones

WI Shed Head

Muddy, Congrats on the buck. Sorry to here he was suffering but I'm glad to here you made the choice to end it for him. I hope you can find out who the poachers are in your area, and soon. Sounds like they did a real number on your future hunts.

WI Shedhead,
I had plenty of luck in the area this year. There are plenty of deer and a few really nice ones. You should try the fish fry at Rod and Cals some time.
Lots of hunters in this area.Its getting harder and harder to find the monster bucks.But hopefully there are still a few around. Good luck to you.
beerchug.gif

Captain-

I hate to drag this thread out because this is unrelated but have you heard of any outfitters or groups of hunters leasing any land in that area? I was told this fall that the practice was running wild around Littleport and Edgewood but I have not seen any evidence of it. Keeping my fingers crossed it won't!!! I would rather get a tag every 2 to 3 years and have a quality experience than get a tag every year and not have a place to hunt.

WI Shed head

P.S. How big was he?

WI,
Unfortunately,yes its starting here too.I lost 2 spots that I've hunted for years just last fall.Theres more and more talk of outfitters and leasing going on. E- mail me @ [email protected] if you have any questions.We dont need to drag this out on here.
wink.gif

To answer you last question. Bow buck was 135'' 8 pt. and shotgun buck was 153"" 10 pt.

Back