Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mule deer hunting

What state would you fellas recommened for public land mule deer hunting? Prefer a state that has over the counter tags. Any help would be appreciated fellas.

I know you recently asked me a question in a different thread about muley hunting in AZ. I can't remember the exact question and I'm too lazy to go look, so feel free to ask again. We have OTC archery tags and they are good for the entire month of January in most units, three weeks in late August/early Sept in every unit, and then again mid-December through the end of December in a handful of units. We also have tons of public land and I can point you towards a few areas I know well. Depending on the unit, we have Rocky Mt. mule deer and desert mule deer. Some units have both muley and Coue's whitetail, too (tags good for both). AZGFD is about to change the price on tags and licenses beginning January 2014. NR licenses are currently $151 and OTC archery deer tags are somewhere around $230. You can make it a double effort in January by applying for an archery javelina tag (1st 3 weeks in Jan) and go for both desert muley and javelina. Of course, AZ is a long way from Western KY.

AZHunter whats the best times to spot and stock mulies there? Which specie of mulies would you recommened for a first timer like me knowing nothing really about the animal

My favorite times for desert muleys are in December and January. They tend to be rutting or just finishing the rut by then (by end of January). I've never gone after a desert muley during our August/September season (3 weeks) because its so bloody hot (100F+). For the mountain muleys, I love going after them in early season because you tend to start hearing the bull elk bugle as they start to enter the rut. But then, if there is a unit close by that is open in December/January (closest one from me is about a 20-30 minute drive), I'll take off and stalk them in the snow.

Forgot to mention that if you chase them in August/September, they are still in velvet. Just saw a beautiful 4x4 in velvet standing alongside the road inside the Grand Canyon National Park (can't hunt there) and it reminded me how much I want a velvet muley for the wall. Even my wife thought he was beautiful and would look good on the wall!

Top Bottom