Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mule Deer

longspurs

I don't think I've ever posted these photos on here, but I came across them the other day and thought everyone would enjoy seeing them.

On November 27, 2007, I was on my way home from Mason City after (and against my better judgement) I'd braved the crowds during the day after Thanksgiving shopping scramble. While traveling down the Avenue of the Saints south of town I saw what I thought to be a decent whitetail walking a fenceline. I exited for a better look and when I put my binoculars on the deer I couldn't believe what I was seeing ... it was a MULE DEER!

I called my dad - waking him up in the process - and told him about what I'd just seen. I then called my local CO to double check about the legality of taking a deer such as that in Iowa. He said go right ahead. Being as that I didn't have my bow I talked my dad into coming out in an attempt to get a shot at the deer, which had bedded in a grove while I was watching it. My dad arrived and amazingly secured permission for the grove. To make a long story short, I sat up the road in my truck and watched my dad miss the buck twice. He was bummed out, to say the least, because he's actually a darn-good shot ... I was crushed. It was, in all probability, the only chance my dad will ever have to take a mule deer in Iowa with his bow. On the bright side, it was something that we both got to experience that we may never see again, especially in Cerro Gordo County.

I spoke with a couple others who saw the buck in the area but it's unknown whether it was ever harvested or not. No matter what, it was a pretty awesome sight that November day.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

-Longspurs-

I saw one on a farm my dad had rented about 15 years ago. Really makes you do a double take. Too bad your dad missed, still a neat story.

Neat, just out of curiosity would you have to use your buck tag on it? Or is it one of those not indigenous to iowa exceptions?!

Neat, just out of curiosity would you have to use your buck tag on it? Or is it one of those not indigenous to iowa exceptions?!

I could be wrong here, but our 'buck' tags are for Any Deer (not just any whitetail deer), and the Antlerless Tag is for "Any Antlerless Deer", so I think you would have had to put your Any Deer (buck) tag on it.

The locals down in Waverly, talk about a pair of mule deer does that are running around. Interesting and neat pics!!

About 20 years ago my dad was able to shoot 2 mule deer bucks while hunting shotgun season...it was very odd to say the least...every now and again we see a mule deer doe around, but its definately not an everyday occurance. To bad your dad didnt connect, but still awesome to even have the chance :way:

Top Bottom