Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzle loading question

Bakes

I have very good luck with 300 gr. XTP's pushed by 100 grains of clean shot. Good Luck!

My Knight disc rifle likes 110 grains of pyrodex and 200 grain Knight red hot bullets. My rifle tends to do better with loose powder than pellets. I tried the powerbelt bullets and don't like them very much. Shot a doe last year at about 90 yards a little to far back and she ran about 100 yards with no blood trail. There was no exit wound, but the liver and one lung looked like they had been through shreaded. Never found the bullet but did find the deer.

I use 150 grains of pyrodex pellets and 250 grain barnes bullets, very good knockdown power. Still very accurate at 200 yards.

My Knight Disc Extreme likes 120 grains of Hodgdon Triple 7, 209 Winchester shotgun primer, and a 395 grain CVA Powerbelt bullet. Five shot groups off the bench at 100 yards right on the money all touching each other in a less than 2" circle. It shots the Blackbelt bullets just as well as the CVA's. The Hodgdon Triple 7 powder is much easier to clean up than blackpowder or Pyrodex, however it doesn't yet come in the pellet form.

I have a Wolverine and I shoot 90 grains of RS Select and 240 grain hornady XTP. Sighted in for dead on at 100 which is 2-3 inches high at 50 yards

I have never tried the pellets, though I did buy some for testing this year and never got around to it.

Make sure your friend's gun is not overloaded with powder, there is no way I would shoot 150 grains out of my Wolverine, it is older and was made before these 150 grain supercharges became popular but alot of guns are made for that much charge today.

A friend of mine bought a Knight 50cal. muzzleloader and is wondering what the best combination of powder and bullet is. I told him I had no idea, but I would check with all of you. He would prefer to use pellets if possible. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Mine likes the saboted Hornaday 240 grain XTP's being pushed by two 50 grain pellets of Pyrodex.....

Mines likes 240XTP's also and 2 50 grain pellets. Shot a 3 inch group at 100 yards. Good enough for me!
My gun shoots powerbelts good also, and it does not really like 150 grains, it seems to foul faster with more grains.

Thanks guys, I will pass all of this information on to my friend. I'm sure with your help he will be able to find the combination that his rifle likes. Good luck during late season if you're going!

Top Bottom