Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzleloader Cleaning?

pwrgraphics

PMA Member
I was wondering what you guys use for cleaning your muzzleloaders. Are there any magical cleaners? I just got a new one and I really want to make sure I keep it really clean. I've used several different solvents and can't seem to get it as clean as I would like. Thanks,
Chad

Windex or other window cleaners seem to be popular on a couple of the muzzleloader forums I frequent. I haven't tried it, yet.

The best thing in the world is HOT soapy water worked in the bore with a patch then rinsed with HOT water. The heat will dry the barrel and while it is still warm use something like Wonder Lube or Bore Butter. This has always worked for me on all my muzzle loaders for 20 years now.

That white stuff in the yellow bottle, think it's made by T/C? Works very well for me.

[ QUOTE ]
That white stuff in the yellow bottle, think it's made by T/C? Works very well for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
ditto

If you can take your barrel off easy enough it is easy to run a bath with some dish soap and leave your barrel soak for 5 min. 1 patch gets the rest of the crap out. I wipe it down with a a towel. 1 patch with bore butter and I reassemble.

Dean

I have heard bad things about bore butter. Might want to investigate before using.

T/C cleaner seems to be the way to go hands down. Not very messy, easy, and fast.

Hot water does work great and is about the only way to clean a muzzleloader that isn't an inline with a removeable plug.

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard bad things about bore butter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have also read bad things (barrel pitting) associated with Bore Butter on the muzzleloader forums I follow. If I recall correctly, if there is ANY residual moisture left in the barrel after cleaning, the bore butter either reacts with it or traps it against the metal causing pitting. If you are shooting saboted bullets, there is no need at all for Bore Butter. I'm sure there are alternatives when shooting full bore conicals and maxis.

After cleaning, I would swab with a light oil (I use three in one or WD40 after cleaning), making sure I snap a couple of primers before loading.

I use a light oil too after a complete cleaning with hot water. I will take and add some of the "white" TC solution to a cup of hot water and soak my breech plug in it while I'm cleaning the barrel. Once I get everything clean I use some canned air and blow down the barrel and dry my breech plug. The only thing I use bore butter for is to put a bit on the breech plug threads before reassembly. I always try to remember to fire a 209 primer before loading the first time.

I have several Knight in-lines. I have found as others have said, that warm soapy water works best for the general cleaning of the barrel and other easy access areas. However for those hard to get at areas, Windex and a Q-Tip cleans them up great.

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I use bore butter for is to put a bit on the breech plug threads before reassembly.

[/ QUOTE ]

For my breech plug, I use anti-seize compound that is available at all the automotive supply stores. One of the tubes will last a lifetime.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
ditto

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto again

[ QUOTE ]
For my breech plug, I use anti-seize compound that is available at all the automotive supply stores. One of the tubes will last a lifetime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto on that too!

I can't recall what I use on the breech - it is gray and looks like choke tube lube.

For storage I must agree that I will take a patch and put some gun oil on it and run down the barrel. I leave it in the end of the barrel after swabbing and leave the gun barrel down. Before shooting I swab the barrel with a clean patch and fire a primer. Has worked great so far.

Soaking the breech plug in solvent while you clean the barrel sure makes it easier to clean.

Top Bottom